If you’re searching for resource scheduling software you’ll find in this post a quick, simple and easy to read comparison of ten of the top resource scheduling tools available in 2019.
Quickly Compare & Evaluate The Best Resource Scheduling Software
The Digital Project Manager is reader-supported. When you click through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
In this post we’ll also help explain what resource scheduling software is, how they’ll help you manage and allocate and schedule your team and resources better, and provide a summary of their features so you can easily compare and find the right team and project resource scheduling tools for you.
Just realized that you’re not looking for resource management software? Have a look at other useful tools:
- Project scheduling software to help you plan, track, and analyze your projects.
- Resource management software to help you manage organizational resources.
Resource Management Software Comparison Criteria
To be featured on this resource management software list, I evaluated tools based on the following criteria:
- User Interface (UI): How well-designed is it? Does it offer clear displays and intuitive navigation?
- Usability: Is this easy to learn and master? Are there tutorials and training? Does the company offer good tech and user support?
- Features & Functionality: How many of the key resource management software features and functions does it provide, and how powerful are they? Specifically, I looked for:
- Automation: Auto-scheduling features are a major reason to use resource scheduling software. At the very least, this means that your tasks will automatically adjust when moved around, according to the dependencies you’ve set. It can also include custom workflows with automation to help streamline repetitive processes.
- Real-time scheduling: The best resourcing tools give you real-time visibility into workloads and let you monitor progress, see resource utilization, and make adjustments in real-time.
- Alerts: A good resource scheduler lets you customize the type of notifications and alerts that each user receives (email, desktop, etc), ensuring that alerts about resource utilization and workload keep the right people updated.
- Integrations: Is it easy to connect with other tools? Any pre-built integrations?
- Value for $: How appropriate is the price for its features, capabilities, and use case? Is pricing clear, transparent and flexible?
The 12 Best Resource Scheduling Software Overviews
This review covers the above resource scheduling optimization tools in detail, followed by a list of additional resource planning and scheduling tools to check out.
1. Float – Visually beautiful and simple resource scheduling software for agencies, studios and firms.
Since 2012, Float has been one of the most simple and flexible resource scheduling applications for agencies and studios. Its focus on resource scheduling makes it an ideal companion to other project management tools as it can help you plan your projects better and schedule your team’s time more efficiently.
Float is one of best online resource scheduling tools for managing your staff’s workload, planning projects, and assigning overtime from a single interface. You simply click anywhere on the schedule to start assigning tasks to your team instantly. Team members can access and make concurrent updates to your schedule, with changes captured in real time to ensure your planning is always up to date. You can send your team a personalized overview of their assignments in a weekly or daily email and keep track of live schedule changes via the activity feed.
In addition to the scheduling features, you’ll also find a useful budgeting tool for forecasting your team’s time and expenses, as well as powerful reporting that lets you filter your assignments by resource, department, client, project, and anything in between. Keep track of utilization, compare staff and contractor hours, drill down into specific departments, ad review billable and non-billable time, including public holidays and other time off.
Overall, this is an easily accessible tool: not only does Float have a mobile app for iOS and Android, but it also integrates with 100’s of your favorite apps including Basecamp, Asana and Trello. Float offers a free 30 day trial and costs from $5/user/month (with unlimited, free guest access).
Features & Functionalities Rating:
User Interface (UI)
Value for $
Features & Function