In this post, I’ll help you quickly compare and evaluate the best online project management software.
Web-based online project management software are an alternative to on-premise solutions and are typically packaged as software as a service (SaaS) along with a monthly subscription price.
The price of online PM software often changes based on the number of users you need and the amount of products/services you want. There is also free online project management software if you’re looking for a more budget-conscious choice.
The benefits of using online project management tools include regular updates, real-time collaboration around the globe, no downloads (work right in your browser), and easy mobile app access.
In this post, I’ll share with you some of the top online project management software and provide a simple comparison between them.
There’s plenty to look for when you are shopping around the software market. Let’s get started.
What are we looking for when we select project planner software for review? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): Is it clean and attractive?
- Usability: Is it easy to learn and master? Does the company offer good tech support, user support, tutorials, and training?
- Features & Functionality:
- Gantt chart and/or Kanban board – Does the software have graphs and charts to support task and product timelines, including dependencies and deadlines?
- Communication – Does the tool make it easy to collaborate and communicate with your team? Does it integrate with email and offer direct messaging?
- Task lists – Does the tool make it clear what needs to be done by whom and by what deadline?
- Customizable Reporting – Can you easily pull data from the software and visualize it in a variety of formats?
- Integrations: Is it easy to connect with other tools? Any pre-built integrations?
- Value for $: How appropriate is the price for the features, capabilities, and use case? Is pricing clear, transparent, and flexible?
The Digital Project Manager is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you click through links on our site — learn more about how we aim to stay transparent.
Overviews Of The Best Online Project Manager Software
Here’s a brief description of each of the software that are featured on this top 10 list.
ClickUp is a project management software tool with powerful features for managing and completing all your team’s projects in one platform. Users can plan projects, schedule tasks, and manage resources in a centralized workspace, as well as communicate and collaborate with team members and guests.
Task management features include task checklists, subtasks, and task templates, as well as the ability to filter, sort, search for, easily reorder, and view tasks in the manner most convenient for the team. Users can also create Gantt charts, calendars, and timelines to visualize tasks.
ClickUp also includes features for creating, sharing, and collaborative editing for Wikis and documents. Users can comment on documents and tasks, assign comments, and chat with other team members for increased communication and collaboration. Reporting features include the ability to create custom dashboards, as well as six built-in report types for team reporting.
ClickUp offers native integrations with Slack, G Suite, Dropbox, and many more tools, as well as over 1,000+ integrations through Zapier.
ClickUp’s free plan is robust and includes all primary features. The unlimited plan starts at $5 a month per user and offers additional functionality.
monday.com is a great project management software because of the way the tool has done away with a lot of the trimmings of typical management tools and focused on simple, visually intuitive layouts that help clarify the sequence of work.
monday.com features for managing projects include resource and project management, time tracking, collaboration, and reporting features. For example, users can upload and attach files to cards, make comments, mention teammates, and more. It also offers a great project reporting dashboard that can collect data from multiple boards, allowing better tracking abilities of progress. And while monday.com doesn’t offer a complete set of tools for project accounting and invoicing solution as other tools, you can use monday.com to track hours, timelines, and invoices.
Overall, it’s a highly customizable tool that lets you work in whatever methodology—kanban or otherwise—that fits your project and team. You’ll also find some useful workflow tools for automating parts of your process.
monday.com’s integrations include project management apps like Slack, Google Drive, Gmail, Google Calendar, Jira, GitHub, Trello, Dropbox, Typeform and many more, accessible via Zapier.
monday.com is free for up to 2 users. Paid plans cost from $11/user/month and come with a 14-day free trial.
- Huge focus on collaboration
- Long list of supported integrations
- Easy to customize a workflow or Board
- Helpful visual/color coding customization
- Complex pricing rubric
- No option to create recurring tasks
Forecast is an online project management software that allows users to manage projects, resources, and finances, and includes capabilities for managing entire portfolios and single project milestones or tasks.
Forecast’s auto schedule feature assists with project planning by automatically estimating task durations, assigning resources, and setting deadlines. Other AI capabilities include timesheet suggestions based on historical data, cost and budget estimation, and more. The tool can also automatically calculate utilization rates.
The tool also includes Kanban boards, the ability to organize project tasks into sprints, and a variety of charts and reporting features for measuring task progress, project progress, sprint velocity, and more. The tool can also generate insights and reports on revenue, costs, and profit for each project based on planned and actual work.
Forecast integrates with mainstream project management tools, as well as with Jira, QuickBooks, Xero, and more.
Pricing starts at $35.28/user/month (billed as £29/user/month), and a 14-day free trial is available.
- Includes AI-powered auto-scheduling and time entry suggestions
- Easy to use, implement, and get up and running
- Highly flexible and customizable
- No browser extension for time tracking
- No asset management features
- Minimum of 10 seats
Smartsheet is a spreadsheet-like project management tool. It has won a few awards for quickly becoming a favorite business app. It’s a nice project management software if you’re comfortable working in Excel but wants a break from complicated formulas—Smartsheet performs all the calculations for you across multiple sheets. You can also add customized brand logos and set color themes for individual projects.
Smartsheet has useful project management features such as workflow automation and visualization of tasks in Gantt, calendar and card views. Team members get notified of critical changes in real-time, and the tool provides shared views, detail history, activity logs, automated alerts, reminders, and status reports to keep everyone aligned and informed. The Critical Path feature highlights all the tasks which directly impact your project completion date to keep an eye on important milestones. Reporting is a strong feature of this tool, with editable summary reports that you can easily export to Excel.
Smartsheet integrations include Microsoft and Google apps, as well as development essentials like Jira, and useful business apps like Salesforce, ServiceNow, Slack, Box, and Tableau. The platform is extensible through a REST API and webhooks.
Smartsheet costs from $14/user/month and offers a 30-day trial.
- Sheet-to-sheet linking
- Many project templates & resources
- Ease of sharing
- Easily customizable dashboards
- Jira, Salesforce, Dynamics connector limited to Premier plan
- Changes don’t update in real-time
- Can’t customize chart colors
- freemium version
- Free version permanently available but limited access to certain platform features
- From $19/month
CROOW is recognized as an award-winning and innovative project management platform with a simple and flexible structure for project collaboration. The tool supports waterfall and agile methodologies, offers multiple views such as Gantt and Kanban, and automates workflows through customizable templates.
The tool includes project planning features for managing to-dos, timelines, and deliverables. Users can also create tasks, assign due dates, and communicate with team members through comments and message boards. Another great feature is the option to create custom workflows that correspond with specific project plans.
CROOW offers additional project and business management features such as automated processes and notifications, forecasting and reporting on dashboards, and Kanban and Gantt views. Users can also manage workloads with resource scheduling capabilities, as well as manage digital assets within the platform.
CROOW is free to use with some feature limitations. Paid plans cost from $19/month.
- Free plan allows for unlimited team creation
- Built-in digital asset management feature for storing brand assets
- Generate actionable insights and forecasts through robust reporting dashboards
- Incredibly easy and efficient onboarding and set up
- Access to full business performance reporting requires paid plan
- Limited online support (human) but offers a number of educational resources
- Depending on workspace or project size some page load speeds can be longer than industry or best practice standards
Celoxis is an award-winning all-in-one project management software tool that’s backed by over 17 years of company experience and provides solutions for businesses of all sizes. The tool is the platform of choice for brands like HBO, Bombardier, KPMG, Tesla, Adobe, University of Washington, and The World Bank.
Celoxis helps users plan and manage diverse project portfolios. It is customizable to suit a variety of business needs such as time and expense tracking, resource management, financial tracking, and work collaboration. The help centre is packed with easy-to-use self-help resources such as getting started guides, product FAQs and how-tos, short explainer videos, product documentation manual, and community forums.
Celoxis’ comprehensive features address the complexities of managing projects across organizations. Functions include planning, delegation, collaboration, tracking, and reporting on a user-friendly platform. Businesses can get rid of multiple applications and spreadsheets to manage schedules, resources, budgets, costs, invoices, communication, approvals, risks, issues, and change requests. You also get access to 24/5 customer support with their paid plan.
Celoxis offers integrations with over 400 business applications including Google Drive, Microsoft Project, Jira, QuickBooks Online, Salesforce, Microsoft Active Directory, Evernote, Slack, Zendesk, Wufoo, Google Forms, Trello, Freshdesk, Survey Monkey, and a growing list of others.
Celoxis costs from $22.50/user/month and offers a free 30-day trial.
- Scheduling accommodates geographically distributed teams
- Free client portal
- Available in 8 international languages
- Support for multiple billing models
- Basic users may find it complicated
- Colors used (UI and reports) distract from the data
- Substantial updates may require additional training time
- No social aspect
GanttPRO is an online project management tool based on Gantt charts and useful for managing all kinds of projects and teams from different spheres. It stands out for its intuitive interface and powerful features.
The software includes features for breaking down projects in an efficient manner into subtasks, sibling tasks, and subprojects, as well as set dependencies and milestones. Users can choose between the Gantt chart, Board views, and task dashboards. GanttPRO also offers handy task management features such as statuses, priorities, duration & estimation, progress, dates and deadlines, assignees, and more.
GanttPRO allows teams to collaborate in real-time using comments, mentions, and attachments. Also included are resource management and workload features for monitoring team member workload and tasks.
GanttPRO offers integrations with Jira, Google Drive, Slack, and other applications.
GanttPRO costs from $8.90/user/month for teams or $15/user/month for individuals. The software comes with a 14-day fully-featured free trial.
- Intuitive interface with a short learning curve
- Multiple and flexible project views
- Professional Gantt chart templates
- Light on integrations
- Lack of options to create recurring tasks
- freemium version
- 14 days free trial
- From $9.80/user/month and has a freemium version for up to 5 users
Wrike is an easy-to-use online project management software that is flexible, adaptable, and configurable for teams of anywhere from five to an unlimited number of members. The tool enables users to switch between customizable Kanban boards, Gantt charts, and classic workload views.
Users can view project timelines on a Gantt chart and add dependencies through drag-and-drop, as well as create Kanban boards from several templates. Wrike also features task lists, shared calendars, custom workflows and automations, and file sharing, as well as collaboration features such as live editing, commenting, and instant @mentions.
Wrike allows users to create personal dashboards from task lists, and managers can see team workloads at a glance and adjust resources to maximize employee capabilities and availability. The tool also includes features to create advanced, customizable reports that can be automatically scheduled or exported externally.
Wrike offers 400+ pre-built native integrations, which includes integrations with Zendesk, MediaValet, and QuickBooks, as well as with file management software from Microsoft, Google, and Dropbox.
Wrike starts at $9.80/user/month, with a free version available. Paid plans come with a free 14-day trial.
- Flexible to individual team needs
- Excellent automations and Kanban board templates
- Helpful support team and resources for onboarding
- Steeper learning curve than other tools on this list
- Customization options and range of features can be overwhelming
Nutcache is an online project management tool with a suite of communication and collaboration tools built into daily workflow processes.
Nutcache features include project management, project budgeting, task management, time tracking, expense tracking, online invoicing, and reporting capabilities. The tool is a collaborative workspace with features for live editing, commenting, and mentions.
Nutcache lets you use custom workflows, divide work into manageable chunks, prioritize tasks, assign multiple members to a task, define budget alerts, set budget tracking by the hour or amount, use KPIs to stay on budget, and has a roadmap of features to come.
Integrations include Dynacom Accounting, PayPal, 2Checkout, Stripe, Authorized.Net, Google Sign In, and GitHub.
Nutcache is free to use for up to 20 users. Paid plans start at $6/user/month with a minimum of 5 users and offer a free trial.
- Easy to set up, short learning curve
- Unique time management features
- Customizable workflows
- No option to create recurring tasks
- Notes can’t be quickly added to stopwatch
- Gantt chart could be improved
GoodDay is a modern, highly customizable work management platform that includes powerful yet user-friendly tools for project planning, task management, resource and portfolio management, time and budget tracking, and progress tracking and analytics, as well as customizable workflows, templates, integrations, and more.
The tool includes advanced project planning functionality for creating detailed project plans. Users can add tasks, milestones, and dependencies, as well as get a full picture of progress against the plan. Resource management capabilities include managing resource utilization and workload balance.
The tool also includes a productivity suite that comes with personal work scheduling, group and private chats, meetings management, project & personal events, built-in documents & wikis, unlimited storage for files, and more. Another great feature is the action required feature, which allows team members to notify each other of when action is needed.
GoodDay is highly customizable to both sophisticated project structures and basic project structures. Users can create custom views, adjust the user interface, customize fields, and create custom task types, project templates, priorities, workflows, and more.
GoodDay has 100s of integrations with apps like Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Slack, GitHub, GitLab, Excel, Jira, Trello, and many others, accessible via native integration or Zapier. Custom integrations can be built through GoodDay’s API.
GoodDay costs from $4/user/month and offers a free-forever version for up to 15 users.
The Best Online Project Management Software Summary Chart
|ClickUp||Read ClickUp features & functionality||Freemium version||Free forever with paid plans starting at $5/month||Check out ClickUp|
|monday.com||Read monday.com features & functionality|| |
14 days free trial
|From $11/user/month||Check out monday.com|
|Forecast.app||Read Forecast.app features & functionality|| |
14 days free trial
|From$29/user/month||Check out Forecast.app|
|Smartsheet||Read Smartsheet features & functionality|| |
30 days free trial
|From $14/user/month||Check out Smartsheet|
|CROOW||Read CROOW features & functionality|| Freemium version |
Free version permanently available but limited access to certain platform features
|From $19/month||Check out CROOW|
|Celoxis||Read Celoxis features & functionality|| |
30 days free trial
|From $22.50/user/month||Check out Celoxis|
|GanttPRO||Read GanttPRO features & functionality|| |
14 days fully-featured free trial
|From $8.90/user/month for teams||Check out GanttPRO|
|Wrike||Read Wrike features & functionality|| Freemium version |
14 days free trial
|From $9.80/user/month and has a freemium version for up to 5 users||Check out Wrike|
|Nutcache||Read Nutcache features & functionality|| Freemium version |
14 days free trial
|From $6/user/month with a minimum of 5 users||Check out Nutcache|
|GoodDay||Read GoodDay features & functionality||Freemium version||From $4/user/month||Check out GoodDay|
Other To Do List App Options
Here’s a few more that didn’t make the top list. If you need additional suggestions for another handy to do app, check these out.
- Synergist – Best project management software for agencies
- ProjectManager.com – Best project management system that works on Mac
- FunctionFox – Best for creative professionals
- Clarizen – Best enterprise collaborative work management platform
- Mavenlink – Best online project management for professional services
- Monday – Best online project management for creative remote teams
- Clickup – Best online project management with a customizable workspace
- Zoho Projects – Best PM for in-house CRM
- Easy Projects – Best for team collaboration
- Liquid Planner – Best for small teams or small businesses
- Workzone – Best for product development teams
- Workfront – Best PM for agile project lifecycle management
- Scriforma – Best portfolio management software
- Basecamp – Best for remote software dev teams
- Teamwork – Best for non-profit organizations/NGOs
What Is Online Project Management Software?
Online project management software is any digital tool that can help the facilitation of day-to-day workflow, including communication tools (direct messaging, social feeds, alerts), task lists (todos, Kanban boards), calendars and schedules (monthly/weekly views, Gantt charts), and reporting and analytics functions.
Examples of online project management software include Trello and Asana, which are both browser-based SaaS designed to do all of the above and more. Both are outlined in more detail later in this article, along with many others.
How Much Does Online Project Management Software Usually Cost?
Discounting freeware, which obviously doesn’t have a cost, you can expect to pay anywhere from $5/user/month up to upwards of $100/user/month. The average tends to be between $10-15/user/month for a basic plan.
Didn’t find what you need yet? Check out our other lists of helpful software:
- Need something more construction-specific? Try online construction project management software.
- Looking for OpenOffice Mac or other Mac-specific software? Try our list of project management tools for MacOS and iOS. (There’s no Microsoft Project for Mac but there are plenty of other options!)
- Looking for Microsoft online project management software? Check out our guide to MS Project and MS Teams.
- Looking more specifically for task management? Try this list of the 10 Best Task Management Software For Getting More Work Done, Faster.
What Do You Think About These Online Work Tools?
Have you tried out any online project portfolio management software listed above? What do you think about the online project management software reviews? Sound off in the comments below.