In this post, I’ll help you quickly compare and evaluate the best online project management software.
Web-based online project management software are an alternative to on-premise solutions and are typically packaged as software as a service (SaaS) along with a monthly subscription price.
The price of online PM software often changes based on the number of users you need and the amount of products/services you want. There is also free online project management software if you’re looking for a more budget-conscious choice.
The benefits of using online project management tools include regular updates, real-time collaboration around the globe, no downloads (work right in your browser), and easy mobile app access.
In this post, I’ll share with you some of the top online project management software and provide a simple comparison between them.
There’s plenty to look for when you are shopping around the software market. Let’s get started.
What Is Online Project Management Software?
Online project management software is any digital tool that can help the facilitation of day-to-day workflow, including communication tools (direct messaging, social feeds, alerts), task lists (todos, Kanban boards), calendars and schedules (monthly/weekly views, Gantt charts), and reporting and analytics functions.
Examples of online project management software include Trello and Asana, which are both browser-based SaaS designed to do all of the above and more. Both are outlined in more detail later in this article, along with many others.
How Much Does Online Project Management Software Usually Cost?
Discounting freeware, which obviously doesn’t have a cost, you can expect to pay anywhere from $5/user/month up to upwards of $100/user/month. The average tends to be between $10-15/user/month for a basic plan.
Didn’t find what you need yet? Check out our other lists of helpful software:
- Need something more construction-specific? Try online construction project management software.
- Looking for OpenOffice Mac or other Mac-specific software? Try our list of project management tools for MacOS and iOS. (There’s no Microsoft Project for Mac but there are plenty of other options!)
- Looking for Microsoft online project management software? Check out our guide to MS Project and MS Teams.
- Looking more specifically for task management? Try this list of the 10 Best Task Management Software For Getting More Work Done, Faster.
What are we looking for when we select project planner software for review? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): Is it clean and attractive?
- Usability: Is it easy to learn and master? Does the company offer good tech support, user support, tutorials, and training?
- Features & Functionality:
- Gantt chart and/or Kanban board – Does the software have graphs and charts to support task and product timelines, including dependencies and deadlines?
- Communication – Does the tool make it easy to collaborate and communicate with your team? Does it integrate with email and offer direct messaging?
- Task lists –Does the tool make it clear what needs to be done by whom and by what deadline?
- Customizable Reporting –Can you easily pull data from the software and visualize it in a variety of formats?
- Integrations: Is it easy to connect with other tools? Any pre-built integrations?
- Value for $: How appropriate is the price for the features, capabilities, and use case? Is pricing clear, transparent, and flexible?
This site is reader-supported. When you click through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn more
Overviews Of The Best Online Project Manager Software
Here’s a brief description of each of the software that are featured on this top 10 list.
1. ClickUp – Best free plan for online project management software
ClickUp is a project management software tool with powerful features for managing and completing all your team’s projects in one platform. Users can plan projects, schedule tasks, and manage resources in a centralized workspace, as well as communicate and collaborate with team members and guests.
Task management features include task checklists, subtasks, and task templates, as well as the ability to filter, sort, search for, easily reorder, and view tasks in the manner most convenient for the team. Users can also create Gantt charts, calendars, and timelines to visualize tasks.
ClickUp also includes features for creating, sharing, and collaborative editing for Wikis and documents. Users can comment on documents and tasks, assign comments, and chat with other team members for increased communication and collaboration. Reporting features include the ability to create custom dashboards, as well as six built-in report types for team reporting.
ClickUp offers native integrations with Slack, G Suite, Dropbox, and many more tools, as well as over 1,000+ integrations through Zapier.
ClickUp’s free plan is robust and includes all primary features. The unlimited plan starts at $5 a month per user and offers additional functionality.
2. monday.com – Best For Workflow Automation
monday.com is a great project management software because of the way the tool has done away with a lot of the trimmings of typical management tools and focused on simple, visually intuitive layouts that help clarify the sequence of work.
monday.com features for managing projects include resource and project management, time tracking, collaboration, and reporting features. For example, users can upload and attach files to cards, make comments, mention teammates, and more. It also offers a great project reporting dashboard that can collect data from multiple boards, allowing better tracking abilities of progress. And while monday.com doesn’t offer a complete set of tools for project accounting and invoicing solution as other tools, you can use monday.com to track hours, timelines, and invoices.
Overall, it’s a highly customizable tool that lets you work in whatever methodology—kanban or otherwise—that fits your project and team. You’ll also find some useful workflow tools for automating parts of your process.
monday.com’s integrations include project management apps like Slack, Google Drive, Gmail, Google Calendar, Jira, GitHub, Trello, Dropbox, Typeform and many more, accessible via Zapier.
monday.com costs from $17/month for two users.
- Huge focus on collaboration
- Long list of supported integrations
- Easy to customize a workflow or Board
- Helpful visual/color coding customization
- Complex pricing rubric
- No option to create recurring tasks
- freemium version
- 30 days free trial. No credit card required.
- From $10/user/month (starting from 5 users)
3. Teamwork – best online project management software for customizability and flexibility
Teamwork is a work and project management software that helps in-house teams and agencies improve collaboration, visibility, and accountability. The tool is a flexible, fully featured project management solution that helps users manage the project lifecycle.
Teamwork includes features that help you structure your projects and milestones by creating task lists, tasks, and subtasks to break down the work into action items for your team. Users can add due dates, priority, description, supporting documents, or tags to help mark up tasks with useful information. There’s also a “Workload” feature that provides a big picture of team capacity. The collaboration features allows users to collaborate with clients and/or internal team members with comments on tasks.
Overall, Teamwork is an intuitive and highly customizable tool. It has a lot of features, so it does come with a learning curve to get up to speed. However this is made much easier with ongoing webinars, access to help docs, an online resource center, and a dedicated customer support team.
Teamwork integrates easily with other tools including Gmail, Harvest, HubSpot, QuickBooks, Slack, Dropbox, and more.
Teamwork costs from $10/user/month. They also offer a 30-day free trial.
- Built-in time tracking capabilities
- Intuitive and easy-to-use UI
- Lack of useful reporting tools
- Steep learning curve due to number of features
4. GanttPRO – Best online project management software for Gantt charts
GanttPRO is an online project management tool based on Gantt charts and useful for managing all kinds of projects and teams from different spheres. It stands out for its intuitive interface and powerful features.
The software includes features for breaking down projects in an efficient manner into subtasks, sibling tasks, and subprojects, as well as set dependencies and milestones. Users can choose between the Gantt chart, Board views, and task dashboards. GanttPRO also offers handy task management features such as statuses, priorities, duration & estimation, progress, dates and deadlines, assignees, and more.
GanttPRO allows teams to collaborate in real-time using comments, mentions, and attachments. Also included are resource management and workload features for monitoring team member workload and tasks.
GanttPRO offers integrations with Jira, Google Drive, Slack, and other applications.
The software comes with a 14-day fully-featured free trial. For single users, it costs $15 per user per month. Team plans start at $4.5 per user per month.
- Intuitive interface with a short learning curve
- Multiple and flexible project views
- Professional Gantt chart templates
- Light on integrations
- Lack of options to create recurring tasks
5. Hubstaff – Best online project management software for progress tracking
Hubstaff Tasks is an online project management tool that offers several task organization and progress tracking features. Users can stay on top of projects and collaborate with teams on one platform.
It uses Kanban as its user interface, and you can create task cards and organize them in different columns based on their respective project stages. You can create labels, set deadlines, and attach files to your tasks. The app also lets you communicate with teammates through task comments, which notify them when they are mentioned.
The app has a Sprints view that shows users all the tasks assigned to them in one location, eliminating the need to manually search through each project board. In this view, you can organize tasks by current sprint, future sprint, or backlog.
Hubstaff Tasks also lets you create custom workflows, which can automate moving tasks to different project stages and assigning them to team members.
Pricing for Hubstaff Tasks starts at $5 per user per month.
- Intuitive and easy to navigate interface
- Team notifications make collaboration simpler
- Switch between Kanban and Sprints views for better project planning
- Automate moving tasks forward with custom workflows
- No reporting features
- Only one integration
- Limited free plan
The Best Online Project Management Software Summary Chart
|ClickUp||Read ClickUp features & functionality||Freemium version||Free forever with paid plans starting at $5/month||Check out ClickUp|
|monday.com||Read monday.com features & functionality|
14 days free trial
|From $17/month for 2 users||Check out monday.com|
|Teamwork||Read Teamwork features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 days free trial. No credit card required.
|From $10/user/month (starting from 5 users)||Check out Teamwork|
|GanttPRO||Read GanttPRO features & functionality|
14 days free trial
|From $4.50/user/month||Check out GanttPRO|
|Hubstaff||Read Hubstaff features & functionality||Freemium version||From $5/user/month||Check out Hubstaff|
|Wrike||Read Wrike features & functionality|| Freemium version|
14 days free trial
|From $9.80/user/month and has a freemium version for up to 5 users||Check out Wrike|
|Trello||Read Trello features & functionality||Freemium version||From $9.99/user/month||Check out Trello|
|Basecamp||Read Basecamp features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 days free trial
|From $99/month unlimited users||Check out Basecamp|
|Scoro||Read Scoro features & functionality||Not Available||From $26 user/month, min. 5 users||Check out Scoro|
|Asana||Read Asana features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 days free trial
|From $10.99/user/month||Check out Asana|
Other To Do List App Options
Here’s a few more that didn’t make the top list. If you need additional suggestions for another handy to do app, check these out.
- Synergist – UK’s leading job costing and project management system for creative agencies and other project-based businesses.
- ProjectManager.com – Cloud-based software runs on both Windows and Mac computers with no downloads or complex installation needed.
- FunctionFox – Ideal for creative professionals, FunctionFox helps keep your multiple projects on track, on time, and on budget.
- Smartsheet – Flexible, no-code platform that empowers teams of any size to build the solution they need, and adapt as needs change.
- Clarizen – Enterprise collaborative work management solution voted Gartner Peer Insights Customers’ Choice for Project Portfolio Management.
- Mavenlink – Modern collaborative platform with rich business insights to develop a unified system of records.
- Monday – A popular Work OS used by over 100,000 customers for automating mundane processes and facilitating collaboration across remote teams.
- Clickup – Completely customizable “Spaces” that lets you talor teams’ workspace to be as simple or complex as they require.
- Zoho Projects – Cloud-based project management tool that helps plan work, track it and collaborate with your team wherever they are.
- Easy Projects – Enterprise work and project management with a customer-facing portal for agencies and project managers.
- Liquid Planner – Dynamic project management that boasts automated scheduling and forecasting solutions.
- Workzone – See which projects are on track, which ones are falling behind, and what every team member is working on at a glance.
- Workfront – Work management platform to connect strategy to work, integrate your tech stack, and facilitate digital collaboration.
- Scriforma – Enterprise-centric project and portfolio management software that adapts to your current project portfolio maturity.
What Do You Think About These Online Work Tools?
Have you tried out any online project portfolio management software listed above? What do you think about the online project management software reviews? Sound off in the comments below.