In this post, I’ll help you quickly compare and evaluate the best online project management software.
Web-based online project management software are an alternative to on-premise solutions and are typically packaged as software as a service (SaaS) along with a monthly subscription price.
The price of online PM software often changes based on the number of users you need and the amount of products/services you want. There is also free online project management software if you’re looking for a more budget-conscious choice.
The benefits of using online project management tools include regular updates, real-time collaboration around the globe, no downloads (work right in your browser), and easy mobile app access.
In this post, I’ll share with you some of the top online project management software and provide a simple comparison between them.
There’s plenty to look for when you are shopping around the software market. Let’s get started.
The Best Online Project Management Software List
Here’s a shortlist of the best, simple online project management software:
What Is Online Project Management Software?
Online project management software is any digital tool that can help the facilitation of day-to-day workflow, including communication tools (direct messaging, social feeds, alerts), task lists (todos, Kanban boards), calendars and schedules (monthly/weekly views, Gantt charts), and reporting and analytics functions.
Examples of online project management software include Trello and Asana, which are both browser-based SaaS designed to do all of the above and more. Both are outlined in more detail later in this article, along with many others.
How Much Does Online Project Management Software Usually Cost?
Discounting freeware, which obviously doesn’t have a cost, you can expect to pay anywhere from $5/user/month up to upwards of $100/user/month. The average tends to be between $10-15/user/month for a basic plan.
Didn’t find what you need yet? Check out our other lists of helpful software:
- Need something more construction-specific? Try online construction project management software.
- Looking for OpenOffice Mac or other Mac-specific software? Try our list of project management tools for MacOS and iOS. (There’s no Microsoft Project for Mac but there are plenty of other options!)
- Looking for Microsoft online project management software? Check out our guide to MS Project and MS Teams.
- Looking more specifically for task management? Try this list of the 10 Best Task Management Software For Getting More Work Done, Faster.
What are we looking for when we select project planner software for review? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): Is it clean and attractive?
- Usability: Is it easy to learn and master? Does the company offer good tech support, user support, tutorials, and training?
- Features & Functionality:
- Gantt chart and/or Kanban board – Does the software have graphs and charts to support task and product timelines, including dependencies and deadlines?
- Communication – Does the tool make it easy to collaborate and communicate with your team? Does it integrate with email and offer direct messaging?
- Task lists –Does the tool make it clear what needs to be done by whom and by what deadline?
- Customizable Reporting –Can you easily pull data from the software and visualize it in a variety of formats?
- Integrations: Is it easy to connect with other tools? Any pre-built integrations?
- Value for $: How appropriate is the price for the features, capabilities, and use case? Is pricing clear, transparent, and flexible?
This site is reader-supported. When you click through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn more
Overviews Of The Best Online Project Manager Software
Here’s a brief description of each of the software that are featured on this top 10 list.
The Best Online Project Management Software Summary Chart
|Teamwork||Read Teamwork features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 days free trial. No credit card required.
|From $10/user/month||Check out Teamwork|
|Wrike||Read Wrike features & functionality|
14 days free trial
|From $9.80/user/month and has a freemium version for up to 5 users||Check out Wrike|
|Trello||Read Trello features & functionality||Freemium version||From $9.99/user/month||Check out Trello|
|Basecamp||Read Basecamp features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 days free trial
|From $99/month unlimited users||Check out Basecamp|
|Scoro||Read Scoro features & functionality||Not Available||From $26 user / month, min. 5 users||Check out Scoro|
|Asana||Read Asana features & functionality|| Freemium version|
Free 30 days trial
|From $10.99/user/month||Check out Asana|
|Freedcamp||Read Freedcamp features & functionality|| Freemium version|
14 days free trial period
|From 1.49/month/user||Check out Freedcamp|
|OpenProject||Read OpenProject features & functionality||Freemium version||Per member per month. Billed monthly or annually.||Check out OpenProject|
|Notion||Read Notion features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 days free trial
|From $8/user/month||Check out Notion|
|Avaza||Read Avaza features & functionality||Freemium version||From $9.95/month for 2 users and unlimited collaborators||Check out Avaza|
Other To Do List App Options
Here’s a few more that didn’t make the top list. If you need additional suggestions for another handy to do app, check these out.
- Synergist – UK’s leading job costing and project management system for creative agencies and other project-based businesses.
- ProjectManager.com – Cloud-based software runs on both Windows and Mac computers with no downloads or complex installation needed.
- FunctionFox – Ideal for creative professionals, FunctionFox helps keep your multiple projects on track, on time, and on budget.
- Smartsheet – Flexible, no-code platform that empowers teams of any size to build the solution they need, and adapt as needs change.
- Clarizen – Enterprise collaborative work management solution voted Gartner Peer Insights Customers’ Choice for Project Portfolio Management.
- Mavenlink – Modern collaborative platform with rich business insights to develop a unified system of records.
- Monday – A popular Work OS used by over 100,000 customers for automating mundane processes and facilitating collaboration across remote teams.
- Clickup – Completely customizable “Spaces” that lets you talor teams’ workspace to be as simple or complex as they require.
- Zoho Projects – Cloud-based project management tool that helps plan work, track it and collaborate with your team wherever they are.
- Easy Projects – Enterprise work and project management with a customer-facing portal for agencies and project managers.
- Liquid Planner – Dynamic project management that boasts automated scheduling and forecasting solutions.
- Workzone – See which projects are on track, which ones are falling behind, and what every team member is working on at a glance.
- Workfront – Work management platform to connect strategy to work, integrate your tech stack, and facilitate digital collaboration.
- Scriforma – Enterprise-centric project and portfolio management software that adapts to your current project portfolio maturity.
What Do You Think About These Online Work Tools?
Have you tried out any online project portfolio management software listed above? What do you think about the online project management software reviews? Sound off in the comments below.