Quickly compare the best project management software for startups with pricing, main use case, and evaluation criteria to consider.
In this post, I’ll speak to the specific tools useful for any startup project manager. Startup project management requires that you keep your finger on the pulse of an organization that’s not really established yet—roles shift, products change often from MVP to final version as you work to more agile/scrum methodologies, and your org has to be ready to scale at any moment.
Startups are different from small businesses, as team members are often working across many areas of the business and rely on transparency and quick access to updates happening anywhere in the organization in real-time.
Project management for startup companies tends to need speed, reliability, flexibility, and interconnectivity with other useful apps. Startup projects don’t have time to waste and tend to need software that can keep up with them. Here’s our pick of the best project management software for startups in 2021.
Startup Project Management Software Comparison Criteria
What are we looking for when we select project management software for startups for review? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): Is the interface modern, simple, and easy to understand and navigate?
- Usability: Is it easy to learn and master? Does the company offer good tech support, user support, tutorials, and training to reduce the learning curve?
- Features & Functionality:
- Scalability – Does the tool offer easy, affordable ways to scale as your portfolio and team grows along your roadmap? Plans that offer unlimited users is great for startups as they can quickly grow along with their use of the tool.
- Multi-Device –Can you access the tool across multiple channels, like PC, tablet, and smartphone for on-the-go ease?
- To-Do Lists – Does the software offer task management features: lists, sheets, Kanban boards, Gantt charts, and/or other ways of creating, assigning, and visualizing different tasks and subtasks? How about automated follow-up reminders to help stay on top of shifting priorities?
- Collaboration/communication – Does the tool offer team management software features: easy ways to chat, tag users, store old messages, search a collective knowledge base, and other features that startups need for team collaboration?
- Integrations: Does it connect with software you most likely already use, like Slack, Dropbox, Evernote, Excel, Google Drive, Google Calendar, and email integration? If it doesn’t have file sharing built in, you’ll definitely want to make sure it integrates with a file management tool to keep all of your file versions for different projects in a central location. Software development teams will probably want a pre-built integration with Jira.
- Value for $: Is the price accessible for small teams and startups? Does it offer a free plan to start, or any free trials or freemium subscriptions?
This site is reader-supported. When you click through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
Overviews Of The Best Project Management Software For Startups
Here’s a brief description of each of the best project management tools for startup companies.
2. Kissflow Project – Best simple, collaborative project management software for startups
Kissflow Project is a collaborative project management tool designed to focus on collaboration, transparency, coordination, and productivity. This is a great tool for teams who want something streamlined and useful without being weighed down with a bunch of extra planning or resource management features—it has the essentials presented in an easy-to-use way.
Kissflow Project offers multiple views for projects, including Kanban boards, list views, and swimlanes, so it’s great for teams whose work and working style might evolve quickly. The Project States function helps users reduce the amount of tracking they need to do by allowing team members to mark tasks with one of three statuses — on hold, in progress and done.
The tool allows users to share project plans, documents, and other files, as well as discuss projects directly within the software. Team members also get reminders when due dates are approaching. Another great feature is the ability to set priorities and assign team members to them.
Kissflow integrations include native Microsoft and G suite integrations, and the platform offers a REST API and webhooks.
- Multiple views like Kanban, lists, and swimlanes
- On hold, in progress, and done states available for tracking progress
- Powerful reporting features
- No Gantt chart
- No ability to set up recurring tasks
- Not intended for complex projects
The Best Project Management Software For Startups Summary Chart
|monday.com||Read monday.com features & functionality|
14 day free trial
|From $17/month for 2 users||Check out monday.com|
|Kissflow Project||Read Kissflow Project features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 days free trial
|From $90/month (Includes 10 users)||Check out Kissflow Project|
|Freedcamp||Read Freedcamp features & functionality|| Freemium version|
14 day free trial period
|From 1.49/month/user||Check out Freedcamp|
|Trello||Read Trello features & functionality||Freemium version||From $9.99/user/month||Check out Trello|
|Wrike||Read Wrike features & functionality|
14 day free trial
|From $9.80/user/month and has a freemium version for up to 5 users||Check out Wrike|
|Teamwork||Read Teamwork features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 day free trial. No credit card required.
|From $9/user/month (starting from 5 users)||Check out Teamwork|
|TeamGantt||Read TeamGantt features & functionality|| Freemium version|
14 day free trial
|From $24.95/month||Check out TeamGantt|
|Basecamp||Read Basecamp features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 day free trial
|From $99/month unlimited users||Check out Basecamp|
|Asana||Read Asana features & functionality|| Freemium version|
Free 30 day trial
|From $10.99/user/month||Check out Asana|
|Zoho Projects||Read Zoho Projects features & functionality|
10 day free trial
|From $18 for 6 users||Check out Zoho Projects|
What Do You Think About This Startup Management Software?
Have you tried out any of the above tools for startup companies? Which did you like best? Is there any project management software for entrepreneurs that you would recommend be added to this list? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section.