Best for simple workload and capacity planning
- Kantata (formerly Mavenlink + Kimble)
Best all-in-one resource planning, timesheets, and project financials
integrated resource planning and task tracking solution that you can actually use from small details to the big picture
Best for digital agencies and production teams
Best for advanced and custom workflow automations
Best for managing and tracking resources in real-time
- Hub Planner
Best for midsize and large companies
Best for enterprise resource and workforce management
- Resource Guru
Best low-cost option for beginners
Best for project-based work
Open source options are great if you need an inexpensive and customizable software, but they can often be difficult to get up and running, and often don't include all the necessary features. Try paid software if you're looking for something more robust.
Below, you’ll find my comparison of the best open-source resource management software applications for 2022. These applications are designed to provide project managers and other business professionals with a higher degree of efficiency in multiple areas of resource management.
In this thorough open-source resource management software review, you’ll discover the best tools along with an overview of features, use cases, screenshots, and an explanation of the criteria for making the right choice.
I also share answers to a variety of commonly asked questions about open source resource management. This information can help you better understand how to use this software to improve the way you run your projects and manage resources.
Open Source Resource Management Software Comparison Criteria
What do I look for when I select the best open source resource management software? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): How well designed is the software? Is it easy to navigate? Can multiple team members use it at the same time? Are workflow tools available to keep team members on the same page?
- Usability: Is it easy to learn and understand? Is it easy to train others on how to use it? Are there tutorials to help with training? What is customer service like?
- Integrations: How simple is it to connect with other project management tools? Are there any pre-built and/or suggested integrations? For resource management and workflow management tools, I’d look for the ability to integrate the software with other tools and apps, such as Google Drive, Excel, Slack, Dropbox, Jira, Asana, Wrike, Trello, Basecamp, and Typeform.
- Value for $: Are you getting everything you need from a free, open-source project management software or resource management solution? If there’s a fee, are you comfortable with what you’re getting in return for your money? What is the pricing structure?
Open Source Resource Management Software Key Features
- Resource forecasting: Used to predict future resource requirements and dependencies to ensure that you allocate properly and plan out hiring in advance. This also helps with resource allocation.
- Capacity management: Used to ensure that there are enough resources and that they have enough capacity to meet both current and future needs.
- Scenario planning: Deployed as a strategic planning method to plan for future scenarios. When combined with time tracking, you can plan and allocate resources in advance.
- Collaboration tools: Teamwork and team collaboration allows everyone to share information, work toward the same deliverables, and communicate effectively.
More about the most common features of resource management software here.
The Digital Project Manager is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you click through links on our site — learn more about how we aim to stay transparent.
monday.com is a flexible platform to help teams communicate in context, get a birds-eye view of outstanding projects, available resources, and projected timelines. monday.com’s simplistic design and straightforward interface mean teams can get started planning timelines, assigning project ownership, and managing any project in minutes.
monday.com offers various views to represent data, so each team member can work according to his preferences. With workload view, you can easily see who’s able to take on more work and who’s not. Gain insight into your team’s work capacity and make adjustments to timelines or ownership accordingly— no matter where you are. The monday.com app gives you the flexibility and power to run your team on the go. You can organize your daily work, projects, and teams all in one place.
monday.com has over 40 integrates with apps like Slack, Excel, Google Drive, Gmail, Google Calendar, Jira, GitHub, Trello, Dropbox, Typeform, and others, accessible via Zapier.
monday.com costs from $6/user/month and comes with a free 14-day trial. They offer a free plan for up to 2 users.
- Quick learning curve
- New features being rolled out regularly
- Easily create boards dedicated to operational resource tracking
- Color coded status great for resource overviewsv
- More expensive compared to similar products
- Requires manual resource forecasting (no automation)
WP ERP allows you to optimize and manage your business directly from your WordPress dashboard. The tool is easy to install and use, and provides access to extensions and modules for additional features and capabilities.
As a tool powered by WordPress—with the traditional WordPress layout—the learning curve is minimal.
Even without employees, freelancers and startup companies can benefit from the use of resource management software. Dolibarr is designed specifically for freelancers who require a flexible solution and advanced features in an easy to use package.
The marketing, finance and billing, and sales features are particularly useful to freelancers.
Sentrifugo is an all-in-one solution for HR professionals. The tool can handle a variety of HR processes from performance appraisals to background checks.
Sentrifugo’s advanced analytics and metrics allow you to visualize things such as employee status, department count, and recent activity.
ResourceSpace is an easy-to-use and understand resource management software. The tool also has digital asset management capabilities and features for file sharing, version control, privacy and access controls, and more.
ResourceSpace also allows for a wide variety of integrations, including integrations with Microsoft Active Directory, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and more.
Apache OFBiz is a highly flexible and customizable resource management software. Users can easily enhance the framework with custom features—such as those for reporting—to meet the unique needs of their company.
Apache OFBiz isn’t as modern as other software on the list, but it more than makes up for it by way of custom features.
Orangescrum can be used by teams of all sizes, but it’s best for large teams seeking a streamlined project management solution. The dashboard is simple to use and understand, which cuts down on training time.
Also, for a fee, Orangescrum provides access to various high-level features, such as document management, in-app chat, and invoice Pro.
Odoo is a full-service open source resource management software with a built-in CRM tool. It offers advanced features such as real-time messaging, forecasting, goal setting, and more.
With a large integration library, Odoo is customizable to suit your many resource management requirements.
With access to templates and pre-built application modules, ABP Commercial allows teams to get set up and start managing resources quickly. The tool also offers premium support and rapid application development tooling.
The modern, color-coded layout and intuitive navigation is designed for fast learning.
GanttProject doesn’t look as pretty as the other software solutions on this list, but it still functions at a high level. It is highly customizable and allows users to create Gantt charts and then assign resources to tasks. The tool is simple and straightforward without including an overwhelming number of features, making it a nice choice for beginners.
Need expert help selecting the right Project Resource Management Software?
We’ve joined up with the software comparison platform Crozdesk.com to assist you in finding the right software. Crozdesk’s Project Resource Management Software advisors can create a personalized shortlist of software solutions with unbiased recommendations to help you identify the solutions that best suit your business's needs. Through our partnership you get free access to their bespoke software selection advice, removing both time and hassle from the research process.
It only takes a minute to submit your requirements and they will give you a quick call at no cost or commitment. Based on your needs you’ll receive customized software shortlists listing the best-fitting solutions from their team of software advisors (via phone or email). They can even connect you with your selected vendor choices along with community negotiated discounts. To get started, please complete the form below:
14-day free trial
|From $10/user/month||Visit Website|
Free trial available
|From $9/user/month||Visit Website|
|Free to use||Visit Website|
|From $332/month||Visit Website|
Free to Use
14 days free trial
|Free up to 3 users + starts at $8/month||Visit Website|
15-day free trial
|From $24 USD/user/month||Visit Website|
|From $1999/user, as a one-time payment.||Visit Website|
Free open source software
|From $5 as a one-time payment||Visit Website|
Other Open Source Resource Management Software Options
- EPESI CRM – Best for built-in BIM capabilities
- WP-HR Manager – Best for WordPress integration
- Projectlibre – Best free open source resource management software
- OpenProject – Best open-source enterprise resource planning software
Commonly Asked Questions About Open Source Resource Management Software
Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about open-source resource management software.
- Software can help streamline resource management and use automation to work more efficiently and effectively while saving time and money.
- Open-source software is flexible and adaptable, allowing you to make custom changes that suit your unique requirements.
- It provides a comprehensive overview of current resources and capacity to assist with decision-making.
Learn more about the benefits of resource management software here.
- Features: The best software applications have a long list of features designed to meet your many requirements or your use case, including some you might not have considered such as invoicing, timesheets, Gantt charts, Kanban boards, drag and drop functionality, project roadmaps and lifecycle tracking, project portfolio management, and team task lists.
- Easy to use: Even though you can adapt open-source software to meet your needs and methodologies, you still want your application to be easy to use “out of the box.”
- Tech support: There will be times when you have questions and/or concerns. Find software that offers many forms of support, ranging from live agents to training videos to detailed documentation. This allows you to spend more time on resource planning and less time on tasks that don’t move the needle.
- Compatibility: Choose open-source resource management software that’s compatible with your preferred operating system. Does your mobile device run on Android or iOS? Do you use a Mac or Linux machine? Without compatibility, you have nothing.
What Do You Think About These Open Source Resource Management Software?
What are your thoughts on this list of open-source resource management tools? Which one is your favorite? Would you add any others to the list? Are you ready to take on an open-source project that could pay huge dividends?
Read my full list of the top resource management software here.
Share your thoughts in the comment section below, and while you’re at it, sign up for The DPM newsletter for the latest insights on project management software and other tools of the trade.
Further Reading: In-Depth Guide To Resource Availability In Project Management
List of Related Tools: Resource Tracking Software