- 1. Kantata — Best all-in-one resource planning for services teams and agencies
- 2. Parallax — Best for PS companies looking to aggregate functionality through integrations
- 3. monday.com — Best for simple workload and capacity planning
- 4. Smartsheet — Best for advanced and custom workflow automations
- 5. Float — Best for digital agencies and production teams
- 6. Saviom — Best for enterprise resource and workforce management
- 7. Resource Guru — Best for fast and flexible scheduling
- 8. Hub Planner — Best for midsize and large companies
- 9. Mosaic — Best for its recommendations based on resource skills and availability
- 10. Meisterplan — Best for its role-based resource allocation prior to staffing
- 1. monday.com — Best for customization using its open GraphQL API
- 2. WP ERP — Best for small businesses and medium-sized businesses
- 3. Dolibarr — Best open source resource management software for freelancers
- 4. Apache OFBiz — Best for creating custom features
- 5. Orangescrum — Best open source resource management software for large teams
- 6. Odoo — Best for customer relationship management (CRM)
- 7. Sentrifugo — Best open source HR management software
- 8. GanttProject — Best open source resource management software for beginners
- 9. TaskJuggler — Best for those seeking flexibility
- 10. ResourceSpace — Best open source resource management software for simplicity
Open source resource management software is a cost-effective alternative to traditional software. Although you have benefits like not having to worry about licenses and the flexibility of customizing the tool according to your needs, it can also be time-consuming to configure and lack personalized support.
Therefore, before deciding on an open-source solution, review your priorities as a business and see if it makes sense to go this route. All the tools on this list can help you in your search for a new RM tool.
I also share answers to a variety of frequently asked questions around this topic at the bottom of this list.
How I Picked The Best Open Source Resource Management Software
When selecting software, I research and analyze certain categories which are relevant to the topic. In this case, I weighed different factors and used the following criteria to shortlist the best RM software.
- User Interface (UI): How well designed is the software? Is it easy to navigate? The user interface is what you will interact with every day. Definitely a category to look at.
- Usability: I like to test the software and see if it's easy to use. This includes the user experience and any resources to help you get better. Therefore, I look at tutorials, guides, and training videos.
- Integrations: I like to see the different ways in which a tool extends its capabilities. Therefore, I looked at the existence of pre-built integrations, access through 3rd parties, and customizable APIs.
- Pricing: It's important to analyze the different paid options that software vendors give you. Even with open-source software there can be fees for additional modules or features.
monday.com is a flexible platform to help teams communicate in context, get a birds-eye view of outstanding projects, available resources, and projected timelines. monday.com’s simplistic design and straightforward interface mean teams can get started planning timelines, assigning project ownership, and managing any project in minutes.
monday.com offers various views to represent data, so each team member can work according to his preferences. With workload view, you can easily see who’s able to take on more work and who’s not. Gain insight into your team’s work capacity and make adjustments to timelines or ownership accordingly— no matter where you are. The monday.com app gives you the flexibility and power to run your team on the go. You can organize your daily work, projects, and teams all in one place.
monday.com has over 40 integrates with apps like Slack, Excel, Google Drive, Gmail, Google Calendar, Jira, GitHub, Trello, Dropbox, Typeform, and others, accessible via Zapier.
monday.com costs from $6/user/month and comes with a free 14-day trial. They offer a free plan for up to 2 users.
WP ERP allows you to optimize and manage your business directly from your WordPress dashboard. The tool is easy to install and use, and provides access to extensions and modules for additional features and capabilities.
As a tool powered by WordPress—with the traditional WordPress layout—the learning curve is minimal.
Even without employees, freelancers and startup companies can benefit from the use of resource management software. Dolibarr is designed specifically for freelancers who require a flexible solution and advanced features in an easy to use package.
The marketing, finance and billing, and sales features are particularly useful to freelancers.
Apache OFBiz is a highly flexible and customizable resource management software. Users can easily enhance the framework with custom features—such as those for reporting—to meet the unique needs of their company.
Apache OFBiz isn’t as modern as other software on the list, but it more than makes up for it by way of custom features.
Orangescrum can be used by teams of all sizes, but it’s best for large teams seeking a streamlined project management solution. The dashboard is simple to use and understand, which cuts down on training time.
Also, for a fee, Orangescrum provides access to various high-level features, such as document management, in-app chat, and invoice Pro.
Odoo is a full-service open source resource management software with a built-in CRM tool. It offers advanced features such as real-time messaging, forecasting, goal setting, and more.
With a large integration library, Odoo is customizable to suit your many resource management requirements.
Sentrifugo is an all-in-one solution for HR professionals. The tool can handle a variety of HR processes from performance appraisals to background checks.
Sentrifugo’s advanced analytics and metrics allow you to visualize things such as employee status, department count, and recent activity.
GanttProject doesn’t look as pretty as the other software solutions on this list, but it still functions at a high level. It is highly customizable and allows users to create Gantt charts and then assign resources to tasks. The tool is simple and straightforward without including an overwhelming number of features, making it a nice choice for beginners.
TaskJuggler is a flexible resource management tool that also assists with project planning and tracking. It covers a comprehensive list of resource management tasks, such as resource assignment, project scoping, communication management, and revenue planning.
A great feature is TaskJuggler’s ability to calculate timelines and resources based on your project plan any constraints or dependencies you’ve added.
ResourceSpace is an easy-to-use and understand resource management software. The tool also has digital asset management capabilities and features for file sharing, version control, privacy and access controls, and more.
ResourceSpace also allows for a wide variety of integrations, including integrations with Microsoft Active Directory, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and more.
Need expert help selecting the right tool?
We’ve joined up with Crozdesk.com to give all our readers (yes, you!) access to Crozdesk’s software advisors. Just use the form below to share your needs, and they will contact you at no cost or commitment. You will then be matched and connected to a shortlist of vendors that best fit your company, and you can access exclusive software discounts!
Best for customization using its open GraphQL API
14-day free trial + free plan available
|From $8/user/month (billed annually, min 3 seats)||Visit Website|
Best for small businesses and medium-sized businesses
Best open source resource management software for freelancers
Free trial available
|From $9/user/month||Visit Website|
Best for creating custom features
Free to Use
Best open source resource management software for large teams
14 days free trial
|Free up to 3 users + starts at $8/month||Visit Website|
Best for customer relationship management (CRM)
15-day free trial
|From $31/user/month||Visit Website|
Best open source HR management software
Free to use
|Free to use||Visit Website|
Best open source resource management software for beginners
Free open source software
|From $5 as a one-time payment||Visit Website|
Best for those seeking flexibility
|Free Version available||Visit Website|
Best open source resource management software for simplicity
|From $332/month||Visit Website|
What Are The Benefits Of Using Open Source Resource Management Software?
What’s The Best Way To Compare Open Source Resource Management Software?
Which features should I look for when selecting open-source RM software?
If you would like to continue learning about this topic, check out our in-depth guide to resource availability in project management.
Additionally, you can learn about 5 different techniques that can help you keep your projects balanced according to the your available resources.