Finding the best resource allocation software can be difficult because many of the options available on the market have similar pros and cons.
Read my comprehensive resource allocation software review and discover the best tools you can use to allocate digital resources, along with a brief explanation of what convinced me to choose them over their competitors.
The following review also includes a brief overview of each resource management tool, screenshots, and a comparison chart that can help make your choice easier.
Read on to learn more about resource allocation software and how it can help you keep track of your organization’s digital resources.
Resource Allocation Software Comparison Criteria
What do I look for when I select the best resource allocation software? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- Usability: Good software should be easy to learn and master. This means that the software should either come with an intuitive interface that’s easy to navigate or offer a lot of tutorials and training that can teach you how to allocate different resource classes with ease. Besides multiple tutorials and training, the company should also provide high-quality tech and user support.
- User Interface (UI): User interface matters. That’s why people choose resource management software over Excel spreadsheets. Only tools that are easy to learn and navigate made my list.
- Integrations: Modern businesses rely on a multitude of apps to get the job done. A good resource allocation software has to integrate seamlessly with a lot of different apps.
- Value for $: Most resource allocation software offer similar features, so it was important to make sure that the tools I included on the list offered good value for your money.
Resource Allocation Software Key Features
- Project overview: You should be able to tell how many resources are assigned to a project at any given moment.
- Customization: No two projects are identical, so you should be able to customize the software to fit your particular needs
- Resource scheduling: Your resources are limited. You should be able to schedule how to best use your available resources on any given day.
- Time tracking: Your team’s time is valuable. Your team should be able to track billable time accurately to give you a clear estimate of a project’s total cost.
- Helpful reports: The software should provide helpful, detailed reports whenever necessary. You should be able to create reports for different metrics, such as profitability, hours worked, and billable time.
The Digital Project Manager is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you click through links on our site — learn more about how we aim to stay transparent.
Overviews Of The 10 Best Resource Allocation Software
Here’s a brief description of each of the best resource allocation software on my list showing what it does best, plus screenshots to showcase some of the software’s features.
SAP Job Scheduling and Resource Allocation is one of the most complete resource management tools in this category. The earlier versions of this software were a bit complex and lacked the user interface improvements that make this version successful.
This project management tool is highly customizable, enabling you to handle your organization’s resources as you see fit. You can save variants and create consistent processes for your team, making it easy to organize your team’s work, assign projects, adjust timelines or ownership, and more.
SAP Job Scheduling and Resource Allocation is great for agile project management, and you can use it to allocate resources for sprints and waves.
The software allows you to change the way data is represented according to your preference, so you can oversee your team’s workload capacity at a glance. You can allocate resources using REST APIs and prioritize tasks using the web-based app.
SAP Job Scheduling and Resource Allocation tool costs $17/10,000 job executions/month and offers a free trial.
Teamdeck is a comprehensive resource management solution that helps you schedule tasks, set milestones, plan projects, track billable time, and manage workloads. One of the things that make this solution great is that it supports both internal and external teams, so you can use it to manage freelancers and coordinate their work with what your in-house team is doing.
Teamdeck’s calendar feature is very helpful. You can see your team’s resource utilization, keep track of who’s working and who’s on leave on any specific date, and check your team’s workload.
The software enables you to monitor your team’s performance and compare it to your predictions or with previous results and calculate KPIs or follow different metrics of your choosing. With Teamdeck, you gain an overview of your company’s profitability at a glance, so you can allocate resources where they will make the most impact.
Teamdeck has a fixed price of $3.99/user/month and offers a free 7-day trial.
Tempo is a great project management solution for Atlassian JIRA. Thanks to its integration into JIRA and comprehensive management features, Tempo can help you track and report time, gain a clear overview of your company’s finances, and allocate resources where they’re most needed.
You can add time entries in timesheets, switch them with other tickets, and update the timesheets whenever necessary. The software has an intuitive user interface, so even those who are not good with technology can quickly learn how to use it.
Tempo enables you to optimize the use of your resources and it’s great at organizing time tracking data into different categories to make reporting easier.
Your Tempo license size has to match your JIRA license size. Tempo costs from $10/month per feature for up to 10 users. They offer a free 30-day trial for their enterprise solution.
Toggl Plan is a user-friendly resource allocation software that’s easy to master. Thanks to its click-and-drop options, this software enables you to manage and organize tasks within projects in a short amount of time.
Toggl Plan comes with a colorful, intuitive interface and its task management options can help you adjust routines and workflows on the fly. You can use its drag and drop templates to schedule and reschedule the resources available to you until it makes sense for your project.
Toggl Plan is a great solution for small and medium-sized teams that want to take on new projects with a limited resource capacity. The scheduling software’s interface and drag and drop options make it easy to switch from one task to another to allocate resources.
Toggl Plan costs start at $8/user/month and offers a free 14 days trial.
Anaplan is one of the best resource planning tools out there, and it’s great for project managers who love strategizing and planning to the smallest detail. The software’s planning features enable you to create different scenarios based on forecasts, which are then updated automatically in real-time as information becomes available.
With Anaplan, it’s easy to prepare for multiple scenarios with different outcomes. You can quickly generate reports for your stakeholders as each scenario unfolds.
Anaplan is a flexible project management software. You can tailor its interface to suit your needs, create custom fields and eliminate the sections you don’t use.
Anaplan offers customized pricing upon request. They also offer a free demo.
Forecast is a resource management software that can help you keep track of allocated resources. One of the things that make Forecast stand out from its competitors is the fact that it enables you to leverage AI to automate repetitive tasks or processes. The automation functionality helps you organize tasks and can distribute the work to your team members, removing some of the manual processes usually involved in project management.
Forecast creates charts that are advanced but simple to understand. You can see your team’s workload information in real-time to keep track of resource availability so you can allocate resources as you see fit. The software can also help you keep track of the activities and the profit created by each team member.
Forecast comes with a wide variety of helpful functions, such as project tracking, invoicing, and Kanban boards.
Forecast prices start at $29/user/month. The company also offers a free 14-day trial.
Mavenlink is a tool that’s easy to integrate into an existing software ecosystem. The software connects with a large number of third-party apps and add-ons that you can set-up with ease. This makes them a great choice for enterprises that have many SaaS and on-premise tools on-the-go and need them to speak together seamlessly.
You can use Mavenlink to set the right level of project visibility for each of your team members, so project managers can see the project’s budget or percentage of completion, but regular users can see fewer details. The software enables you to track different aspects of every project, making it easy to allocate the necessary resources to get the job done quickly.
Mavenlink’s time management solution is easy to use, and you can see which specific tasks demand more of your team’s time to better plan ahead.
Mavenlink pricing starts at $19/user/month and it comes with a 10-day free trial.
Resource Guru is a budget-friendly resource planning software that’s perfect for small businesses that want to scale. This tool gives you a fast and simple way to manage digital resources. You can see what resources are allocated to a certain project and identify potential bottlenecks or pain points that might come up so you can plan ahead.
The software’s interface is user-friendly and anyone can learn it quickly. The color scheme makes it easy to manage the right resources across different projects. Each member of your team gets an availability bar, so you can learn how many hours of work you can allocate at a glance.
Resource Guru integrates with a lot of popular apps, such as Slack, Asana, Trello, Salesforce CRM, Microsoft Office 365, Hub Planner, Basecamp, to name a few.
Resource Guru prices start at $2.50/user/month and the company offers a 30-day free trial.
Productive is a tool designed with agencies and consultancies in mind. You can use it to coordinate in-house resources with externalized services in actual time. They have simple graphs and charts that can chart multi-channel budgets and predict profitability week over week.
Productive has a good interface that’s easy to navigate. The software enables you to restrict your freelance collaborators’ access to your projects and other digital resources without affecting their ability to track time.
This software enables you to forecast budget spend, track each project’s budget, and reallocate resources as you see fit.
Productive costs from $12.5/user/month and offers a free 14-day trial.
Saviom is a complex tool that offers a great overview of your company’s resources and streamlines project planning. The software can help you see who is working on each project and respond quickly to resource requests.
Saviom’s Gantt chart gives a snapshot of resource utilization to all your team members, so it can help project managers keep track of the available resources with ease. You can prioritize areas or projects that need more resources, and set up alerts to avoid resource shortages or bottlenecks.
This tool integrates seamlessly with multiple apps, so you can include it in your software ecosystem without affecting its functionality.
Saviom offers pricing upon request. They offer both a free trial as well as a free demo.
The 10 Best Resource Allocation Software Summary
Other Resource Allocation Software Options
Here’s a few more that didn’t make the top list.
- Netsuite Resource Management – Best for financial projects
- Meisterplan – Best for long-term resource planning
- Smartsheet – Best for collaborative spreadsheets
- Float – Best for cashflow management
- Monday.com – Best for SaaS project tracking
- 10,000 ft by Smartsheet – Best for human resource team allocation
- XCMscheduler – Best all-in-one solution for client tracking
- Bridgit Bench – Best for project portfolio management
- PhonEX ONE by MIND CTI – Best for call accounting
- OpenPages by IBM – Best for CRM integration
- Comindware Project Planning – Best for remote teams that use Android, iOS and Windows
- BSM Illuminate – Best for dispatch management
- Resource Centra by Add-On Products – Best for teams that rely on Microsoft Exchange infrastructure and Microsoft Outlook
- Asset Infinity – Best for real-time status updates
- ProjectPro by Netsmartz – Best for app development
- eResource Scheduler – Best drag & drop scheduler
- PortfolioQED – Best for tracking spend allocation in PPM advertising
- Kelloo – Best for schedule optimization
- Project Insight – Best for client progress visualization
- Balance by Allovue – Best for optimizing spending decisions
- ABAK360 – Best for expense reporting
What are the benefits of using resource allocation software?
Resource allocation tools offer a wide variety of benefits. Most businesses use them to keep track of their digital resources in real-time, for resource scheduling, timesheet management, capacity planning, leave management, and more.
Resource management tools can help project managers, coordinate in-house team members, with freelancers, allowing them to estimate the total cost for the professional services offered.
Why is resource planning important for resource allocation software?
Resource planning or forecasting can help project managers estimate the resources required to complete a project. Being able to estimate how many hours a team would spend on a project can help determine a project’s budget, which can be of tremendous help during the sales process.
What Do You Think About These Resource Allocation Software?
Which of the tools I recommended do you use to allocate resources? Did I miss a good one? I’d love to hear how you handle your organization’s resources. Share your thoughts and recommendations in the comments below.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest insights from top thinkers directly in your inbox.