Below, you’ll find my comparison of the best open-source resource management software applications for 2021. These applications are designed to provide project managers and other business professionals with a higher degree of efficiency in multiple areas of resource management.
In this thorough open-source resource management software review, you’ll discover the best tools along with an overview of features, use cases, screenshots, and an explanation of the criteria for making the right choice.
I also share answers to a variety of commonly asked questions about open source resource management. This information can help you better understand how to use this software to improve the way you run your projects and manage resources.
Commonly Asked Questions About Open Source Resource Management Software
Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about open-source resource management software.
- Software can help streamline resource management and use automation to work more efficiently and effectively while saving time and money.
- Open-source software is flexible and adaptable, allowing you to make custom changes that suit your unique requirements.
- It provides a comprehensive overview of current resources and capacity to assist with decision-making.
- Features: The best software applications have a long list of features designed to meet your many requirements, including some you might not have considered such as invoicing, timesheets, Gantt charts, Kanban boards, drag and drop functionality, project roadmaps and lifecycle tracking, project portfolio management, and team task lists.
- Easy to use: Even though you can adapt open-source software to meet your needs and methodologies, you still want your application to be easy to use “out of the box.”
- Tech support: There will be times when you have questions and/or concerns. Find software that offers many forms of support, ranging from live agents to training videos to detailed documentation. This allows you to spend more time on resource planning and less time on tasks that don’t move the needle.
- Compatibility: Choose open-source resource management software that’s compatible with your preferred operating system. Does your mobile device run on Android or iOS? Do you use a Mac or Linux machine? Without compatibility, you have nothing.
Open Source Resource Management Software Comparison Criteria
What do I look for when I select the best open source resource management software? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): How well designed is the software? Is it easy to navigate? Can multiple team members use it at the same time? Are workflow tools available to keep team members on the same page?
- Usability: Is it easy to learn and understand? Is it easy to train others on how to use it? Are there tutorials to help with training? What is customer service like?
- Integrations: How simple is it to connect with other project management tools? Are there any pre-built and/or suggested integrations? For resource management and workflow management tools, I’d look for the ability to integrate the software with other tools and apps, such as Google Drive, Excel, Slack, Dropbox, Jira, Asana, Wrike, Trello, Basecamp, and Typeform.
- Value for $: Are you getting everything you need from a free, open-source project management software or resource management solution? If there’s a fee, are you comfortable with what you’re getting in return for your money? What is the pricing structure?
Open Source Resource Management Software Key Features
- Resource forecasting: Used to predict future resource requirements and dependencies to ensure that you allocate properly and plan out hiring in advance. This also helps with resource allocation.
- Capacity management: Used to ensure that there are enough resources and that they have enough capacity to meet both current and future needs.
- Scenario planning: Deployed as a strategic planning method to plan for future scenarios. When combined with time tracking, you can plan and allocate resources in advance.
- Collaboration tools: Teamwork and team collaboration allows everyone to share information, work toward the same deliverables, and communicate effectively.
The Digital Project Manager is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you click through links on our site — learn more about how we aim to stay transparent.
Overviews Of The 10 Best Open Source Resource Management Software
Here’s a brief description of each of the open-source resource management software on my list, showing what it does best, screenshots, features, and more.
Orangescrum can be used by teams of all sizes, but it’s best for large teams seeking a streamlined project management solution. The dashboard is simple to use and understand, which cuts down on training time.
Also, for a fee, Orangescrum provides access to various high-level features, such as document management, in-app chat, and invoice Pro.
GanttProject doesn’t look as pretty as the other software solutions on this list, but it still functions at a high level. It is highly customizable and allows users to create Gantt charts and then assign resources to tasks. The tool is simple and straightforward without including an overwhelming number of features, making it a nice choice for beginners.
TaskJuggler is a flexible resource management tool that also assists with project planning and tracking. It covers a comprehensive list of resource management tasks, such as resource assignment, project scoping, communication management, and revenue planning.
A great feature is TaskJuggler’s ability to calculate timelines and resources based on your project plan any constraints or dependencies you’ve added.
Apache OFBiz is a highly flexible and customizable resource management software. Users can easily enhance the framework with custom features—such as those for reporting—to meet the unique needs of their company.
Apache OFBiz isn’t as modern as other software on the list, but it more than makes up for it by way of custom features.
WP ERP allows you to optimize and manage your business directly from your WordPress dashboard. The tool is easy to install and use, and provides access to extensions and modules for additional features and capabilities.
As a tool powered by WordPress—with the traditional WordPress layout—the learning curve is minimal.
Sentrifugo is an all-in-one solution for HR professionals. The tool can handle a variety of HR processes from performance appraisals to background checks.
Sentrifugo’s advanced analytics and metrics allow you to visualize things such as employee status, department count, and recent activity.
With access to templates and pre-built application modules, ABP Commercial allows teams to get set up and start managing resources quickly. The tool also offers premium support and rapid application development tooling.
The modern, color-coded layout and intuitive navigation is designed for fast learning.
ResourceSpace is an easy-to-use and understand resource management software. The tool also has digital asset management capabilities and features for file sharing, version control, privacy and access controls, and more.
ResourceSpace also allows for a wide variety of integrations, including integrations with Microsoft Active Directory, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and more.
Odoo is a full-service open source resource management software with a built-in CRM tool. It offers advanced features such as real-time messaging, forecasting, goal setting, and more.
With a large integration library, Odoo is customizable to suit your many resource management requirements.
Even without employees, freelancers and startup companies can benefit from the use of resource management software. Dolibarr is designed specifically for freelancers who require a flexible solution and advanced features in an easy to use package.
The marketing, finance and billing, and sales features are particularly useful to freelancers.
Summary Of The Best Open Source Resource Management Software
It’s easy to be overwhelmed by the baffling array of marketing project management software tools out there. Below, we’ve put together a reader-friendly table neatly summarizing basic info about the tools described in this article. We’ve investigated the pricing and availability of free trials and demo versions for you to make a side-by-side comparison that much simpler.
What Do You Think About These Open Source Resource Management Software?
What are your thoughts on this list of open-source resource management tools? Which one is your favorite? Would you add any others to the list? Are you ready to take on an open-source project that could pay huge dividends?
Read my full list of the top resource management software here.
Share your thoughts in the comment section below, and while you’re at it, sign up for The DPM newsletter for the latest insights on project management software and other tools of the trade.