- 1. DocuWare — Best for workflow automations
- 2. M-Files — Best for its metadata-driven document management
- 3. OpenText — Best for content lifecycle management
- 4. FileHold — Best for its 99% availability
- 5. docEdge DMS — Best feature-packed document management
- 6. Dokkio — Best for cross-platform document management
- 7. MasterControl — Best for companies in regulated industries
- 8. Amazon WorkDocs — Best for compliance requirements
- 9. Accruent Meridian — Best for Engineering teams
- 10. Moxo — Best for its interactive document portals
With complex workflow needs and changing compliance rules, using an efficient enterprise document management system is key to growing and staying competitive.
In an enterprise setting, content chaos arises when documents are stored in multiple places — on paper, on computers/laptops and USB sticks, in email and network drives or across various repositories and file-sharing sites. These places are content silos that drain business productivity and increase security risks.
A modern, enterprise document management system changes everything.
Implementation of an ineffective enterprise document management system streamlines the process of handling high volumes of documents for effective use, collaboration, storage, and retrieval.
What is an enterprise document management system?
An enterprise document management system (EDMS) is a comprehensive software solution that facilitates the creation, storage, retrieval, organization, protection, and management of digital documents and files within an enterprise. It encompasses a range of features and functions to streamline document-related processes and improve overall efficiency.
With an effective EDMS, enterprises can forgo maintaining troves of paper documents while also improving productivity with easy document access, organization, and management.
DocuWare is a cloud-based document management and workflow automation platform for businesses that use multiple software types such as accounting, finance, HR, in their tech stack. The platform has a strong enterprise feature set, including excellent document storage, management, importing and form handling with workflow automation and integrations.
Why I picked DocuWare: As someone who uses document management software often, I picked this solution for two reasons — workflow automation and integration. Its workflow automation capability makes it a great platform for businesses that use many different types of software, such as Accounting, Finance, HR, etc. while its integration capabilities help support consistency and organization and offer real-time updated data.
DocuWare Standout Features and Integrations
Standout features include workflow automation and integration. From my experience with DocuWare, you’ll gain powerful and secure document management with process automation that keeps information flowing effortlessly through your workforce and integration that helps you work with other solutions to give you exceptional productivity.
Integrations include hundreds of CRM, ERP, EHR, HR software and more to provide a seamless flow of information between applications, departments, and teams. Some of the integrations include Microsoft Outlook, Sap, Sage, QuickBooks, Teams, Sharepoint, Microsoft Dynamics, Oracle, Xerox, eGecko, and COR Health. Successful integration with DocuWare is possible through a number of methods, including API/SDK, native connectors, URL integration, DocuWare Smart Connect, iPaaS Connectors, and DocuWare Printer.
- Supports advanced document security.
- Seamless application and software integration.
- Strong document import and data field capabilities.
- Exceptional workflow automation.
- Steep learning curve compared to other platforms.
- Pricing could be expensive for smaller enterprises.
M-Files offers an innovative metadata-driven document management platform for midsize and enterprise businesses.
Why I picked M-Files: Out of all the document management systems I reviewed, M-Files provides the most neatly organized and intuitive interface. You can almost instantly glance at all the files you’ve interacted with in the past through the homegrid. The dashboard is almost reminiscent of Windows File Explorer, which most users are familiar with.
In addition, whereas other document management systems have a steep learning curve, M-Files provides a user-friendly and easy-to-navigate system. You can upload documents with a simple drag-and-drop, and achieve most of the software’s functions with a few clicks on the dashboard.
M-Files Standout Features and Integrations
Standout features include metadata-driven document management and workflow automation. The best thing about this platform is that users can search files by document text or metatags, making categorization and identification a breeze. I feel this simplicity makes M-Files stand out as the best document management system for ease of use.
Integrations include Microsoft 365, Salesforce, Sharepoint, Google Workspace, Electronic signatures, Network Folders, MS Dynamics, SAP, Amazon S3, MFSQL, OpenText, Documentum, and eDOCs.
- Fast search through document metadata and text search.
- A minimal learning curve.
- Intuitive and familiar user interface.
- Cost may be expensive for smaller organizations.
- Automatic documents organized by metatags mean some users have to adjust.
OpenText is a comprehensive information management platform that includes document management capabilities. It provides solutions for content management, collaboration, and archiving, suitable for large enterprises with complex document needs.
Why I picked OpenText: In my experience with OpenText Document Management software systems, you can effectively capture, store and track the lifecycle of your electronic documents. I liked OpenText Content Server because it gives enterprises control over documents and business content by storing and securing it throughout its lifecycle.
OpenText Standout Features and Integrations
Standout features include enterprise document management solutions such as enterprise content management (ECM) and its secure content lifecycle management and integration.
OpenText Extended ECM manages business documents and unstructured content through a shared repository that features library services, access controls, multilayer security, content navigation (search) and workflow. The platform Content lifecycle management includes planning, authoring, promotion, securing, sharing and collaboration with teams and departments for productivity. In addition, the platform now leverages AI for automated data capturing and document classifications to reduce human errors and increase search functionality for digital files.
Integrations include leading business applications, such as Salesforce, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams, Adobe Acrobat, and SAP S/4HANA Public Cloud. OpenText also provides development tools that integrate with the core repository through RESTful APIs for complex projects.
- Supports AI data capturing and classifications for enhanced search.
- Support industry or enterprise-specific use cases.
- Enhanced content lifecycle management with robust security model.
- Longer learning curve.
- Integrations need improvements.
FileHold is a flexible document management solution with several tiers of features to suit business document management needs on-premise, in the cloud or hybrid. The FileHold Cloud makes this platform a convenient and 99% document management solution for all teams, especially remote teams.
Why I picked FileHold: I picked this platform for those looking for scalable document management software that provides instantly available files and documents. With several enterprise-level features and tiered pricing, I found FileHold flexible enough to support the needs of enterprises of any size.
FileHold Standout Features and Integrations
Standout features include multiple levels of security and FileHold Cloud that provides document availability. The document FileHold Cloud allows teams to upload documents from anywhere (remotely) and work from wherever there’s an internet connection. With enterprise-grade document security, this service supports remote teams and collaboration, ultimately saving time and money. I especially liked this feature because of the increasing remote or hybrid nature of many teams in the modern business environment.
Integrations include Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft 365, GSA, Outlook, Active Directory, LDAP, Sharepoint, SHI, FedStore, Microsoft Power Automate, multifunction printers (MFPs), OneDrive, Google Drive, DocuSign and Adobe Sign. However, FileHold also has an API you can use to build custom integrations with your favorite tools.
- Access documents anytime, anywhere, and from any device.
- Document workflow approvals and reviews.
- Secure, enterprise-grade controlled document access.
- 99% available documents with instant search and find capabilities.
- The 100% Microsoft-based solution limits other operating system partners.
- Integrations need improvement CRMs and automations.
docEdge DMS is a feature-rich, paperless document management software with a workflow solution that makes managing documents of your business effortless.
Why I picked docEdge DMS: This is a platform that helps you keep all your enterprise documentation needs and information sources in one place and at your fingertips. docEdge DMS software makes your enterprise’s database handling completely digital and automates your documentation and information flow. You will set yourself completely free from the hustle of paper documents as this software takes you to electronic document management.
The core motive behind docEdge DMS is to bring digitization to enterprise document management and evade paper load. This is why the platform is fitted with nearly all features that support digital enterprise document management such as Audit Trail, Case Management, Task Management, Auditing, Document Storage, collaboration, and security. Records are entered automatically and are easily accessible.
No requirement for large silos and bulk paper files, so when all files are uploaded and stored in this Document Management Software, they are saved forever and are searchable and accessible anytime and anywhere.
docEdge DMS Standout Features and Integrations
Standout features include complete digital document management and enhanced document security. docEdge DMS gives you all the features you need for document management but makes it digital so that you don’t need any paper and can access and retrieve your documents anywhere so long as you have Internet access. So, you’ll have peace because there will be no more lost files and your documents will be stored securely with enterprise-grade file protection.
Integrations include cloud storage platforms and project management tools such as Dropbox, Microsoft 365, and Google Drive to help organizations synchronize their workflows, collaborate more effectively, and manage all their processes in one place.
- Enhanced security.
- Easy retrieval.
- No paper silos for effective document workflow.
- Requires improved and direct integrations.
- Pricing is unclear.
Dokkio is a cloud-based document management system and collaboration tool that focuses on cross-platform document management and real-time collaboration.
Why I picked Dokkio: Dokkio provides you with a single platform that puts together all your files from Dropbox, Google Drive, Gmail, Box, and Slack on Mac, Windows PC, or Web. The platform uses AI to help you (or teams) find, organize, understand, and collaborate on all your online files. But that’s not where it ends.
Dokkio automatically categorizes shared files, for example as a resume, contract, and product spec for easy search and collaboration. In addition to this, the platform tags shared files into context, identifying their contents (for images), or important organizations, people or places they mention (for text files) and relates shared files to projects, customers, or partners. This gives you restful document management as collaboration is made easy with an organized 360º view and search — and you’ll work with files based on their type or use.
Dokkio Standout Features and Integrations
Standout features include cross-platform document management and categorizing shared files into context. With cross-platform document management, you can integrate all your files — from Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Slack, Box, and Gmail — into a single interface, regardless of which repository stores them. The platform helps you categorize your files based on their types for easier identification and tags shared files into context such as projects, organizations, people, or clients.
Integrations include cloud-based file resources such as Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Slack, Box, Gmail, Windows, and macOS. But the platform also offers API access so you can integrate your third-party applications.
- Get 360º file/content view.
- Use category and tag options to organize files.
- Load all your files into one place.
- Steep learning curve because of many features.
- Integration limited to document management platforms.
MasterControl is an enterprise document management system for document quality control and compliance. It is designed to help highly regulated industries maintain document compliance and quality standards, especially for digital documents.
Why I picked MasterControl: In regulatory industries/environments, effective document control is critical, impacting all other quality aspects. MasterControl's quality control helps you track and organize all your documents electronically and ensure regulatory compliance with regulations and standards of the industry while reducing overall costs, such as fines and penalties and eliminating audit headaches.
In addition, there is the aspect of audit readiness that troubles many regulated industries. MasterControl helps you maintain all your documents in a centralized location — easily searchable — and offers a time-stamped audit trail, reporting and electronic signatures compliant with 21 CFR Part 11. Finally, I included this document here because of streamlined collaboration, enabling access to only necessary documents regardless of geo-location, even for non-MasterControl users.
MasterControl Standout Features and Integrations
Standout features include MasterControl Documents and Automating Document Control Processes. With Master Control’s quality digital Document control, you get automated document control. This simplifies the document approval, distribution, retrieval and obsolescence processes, and automatically tracks their revision history.
Integrations include enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer resource management (CRM), manufacturing execution systems (MES) and product data management (PDM) applications. MasterControl's API Toolkit also enables integration with third-party systems.
- Automated compliance with standards and regulations, ready for audit.
- Easy system integration with API.
- Easily customizable.
- No clear app integration mentioned.
- Steep learning curve.
Amazon WorkDocs is a cloud-based enterprise document management and collaboration service offered by Amazon Web Services (AWS). It delivers secure enterprise document storage and sharing with strong administrative controls and innovative markup capabilities for improved employee productivity.
Why I picked Amazon WorkDocs: The platform provides secure, fully managed content creation, management, and file collaboration capabilities, with an extensible SDK that runs on AWS.
The best thing about this is that first, files are stored in the AWS cloud, safely and securely. The files are only visible to the users, and their viewers or designated contributors and other business members can’t access the files unless they’re granted access. Second, users can share files and collaborate with others or review as Amazon WorkDocs client app allows users to view many file types - document and image formats.
Additionally, users can establish document retention policies and leverage AWS services like KMS and IAM for added security and compliance measures. In regulated sectors such as healthcare and data privacy, WorkDocs offers tools and capabilities to help organizations align with HIPAA and GDPR requirements.
Amazon WorkDocs Standout Features and Integrations
Standout features include document-based APIs and content encryption with AWS global cloud infrastructure. Amazon WorkDocs ensures data security through encryption at rest and in transit, adhering to encryption-related mandates. Robust access controls enable organizations to manage document access, while detailed audit trails track user actions, aiding compliance with regulations like SOX and HIPAA.
Integrations include Hancom THINKFree, MS Office Online, iOS Files, SDK for WorDocs, MS Active Directory, Migration via Mover, Amazon WorkSpaces, WorkDocs Migration Service, AWS CloudTrail and Amazon SNS. You can build and collaborate on content apps using the Amazon WorkDocs SDK.
- SDK and API to develop apps and collaborate.
- Content sharing and collaboration on the go.
- AWS cloud encryption secure document management service.
- Integrations focusing more on AWS than other third-party apps.
- Difficult to navigate.
Accruent Meridian EDMS is tailored for engineering and facilities management to streamline document management, with safety and compliance, and maximize company collaboration. The platform offers features for managing engineering documents, drawings, and asset information.
Why I picked Accruent Meridian: The platform helps streamline engineering document document management, ensure compliance, and team enhance collaboration. Their workflows can be launched in four ways, namely change management, lower handover costs, regulatory compliance and data quality, and asset document management.
The platform comes in handy for engineering documentation that can be tough to manage because of its often unstructured nature, spread across various systems. Also, due to the constant change, the documentation needs streamlining. Accruent Meridian documentation software brings greater efficiency to engineering document management with its ability to streamline concurrent engineering, track parallel changes, and keep engineering projects under control.
Accruent Meridian Standout Features and Integrations
Standout features include controlled digital workflows and concurrent engineering allow users to pass through predefined review and approval steps and support multiple workflows in various engineering projects.
Integrations include IBM Maximo, SAP Plant Maintenance, Ultimo, ECM, Microsoft Office, CAD, and FAMIS. Meridian Cloud API provides powerful integrations with ERP, EAM, and CMMS platforms.
- Robust API that provides powerful integrations.
- Real-time collaboration with teams and clients.
- Tailored for engineering and facilities management.
- Pricing can be a little expensive for smaller businesses.
- The interface may be difficult to navigate.
Moxo is a business document management system that provides continuous customer service in a branded OneStop portal using integrated video conferencing and secure messaging.
Why I picked Moxo: With Moxo, you'll accelerate workflows from customer, vendor, and partner projects from account acquisition, to onboarding, and servicing. The platform allows you to coordinate documents with vendors, customers, and partners to exchange documents, achieve joint deliverables, track milestones, and even gather approvals.
On Moxo, business documents are securely stored in the cloud, organized and categorized with virtual data rooms, and electronically signed with e-signing for collaboration. I also tried the annotation and users can create illustrative video, visual, or vocal annotations to any file shared to enhance collaboration and communication.
Moxo Standout Features and Integrations
Standout features include joint deliverables and advanced collaboration features. You can use screen-sharing to communicate digitally to focus on issues or tasks at hand. And, businesses can also manage all interactions between internal teams and clients across social channels such as WhatsApp and WeChat.
Integrations with external systems for document management and CRM are available. The key integrations include Trello, Zendesk Suite, Datadog, Chargebee, HubSpot, Google Drive, Gmail, Google Calendar, Webhooks, and Typeform. You can also integrate thousands of third-party apps using Zapier.
- Client messaging is a unique feature.
- Expanded integration, including through Zapier.
- Free versions available offers user experience.
- One-stop digital experience for clients vendors, and partners.
- Long learning curve to understand the features.
- Conversation chat is lost after the 90-day trial period.
Best for workflow automations
30-day free trial + free demo
|Pricing upon request||Visit Website|
Best for its metadata-driven document management
30-day free trial
|Pricing upon request||Visit Website|
Best for content lifecycle management
Free demo available
|Pricing upon request||Visit Website|
Best for its 99% availability
14-day free trial
|From 15/user/month (annually), minimun 5 users||Visit Website|
Best feature-packed document management
Free demo available
|Pricing upon request||Visit Website|
Best for cross-platform document management
Free version available
|From $9.99/user/month||Visit Website|
Best for companies in regulated industries
Free demo available
|Pricing upon request||Visit Website|
Best for compliance requirements
30-day free trial
|From $5/user/month||Visit Website|
Best for Engineering teams
Free demo available
|Pricing upon request||Visit Website|
Best for its interactive document portals
|From $90/month||Visit Website|
Best for multimedia asset management
Best for combining document and business process management
Best for collaborating on bids and proposals
Best enterprise document management system for productivity
Best customer support document management system
- DocStar ECM
Best for accounts payable features
- Microsoft SharePoint
Best for Microsoft users
- Dropbox Business
Best enterprise document management system for mobility
- SAP DMS
Best document management system in SAP software ecosystem
- Canon USA
Best secure enterprise document management solution
Selection Criteria For Enterprise Document Management System
Here’s a short summary of the main selection and evaluation criteria I used to develop my list of the best enterprise document management systems for this article:
I began by evaluating a wide range of document management systems and tools with positive user ratings. I made sure each had the following list of basic functionalities:
- The ability to capture, store, and distribute documents
- Document security that is fitting for an enterprise solution
- Search features that increase the likelihood of finding the right document
- Customizable permissions that let you decide who has access to the content
After making sure the core functionality was there, I focused on the following key features to narrow down the best document management system for enterprise:
- Document Input - When it comes to EDMS document input, most businesses combine paper and digital files. To me, the ideal EDMS should allow inputting files through various sources such as scanners, email, bulk upload, manual upload, automated processes for mass uploading, web services, and mobile applications.
- Document indexing and classification - A good enterprise EDMS helps standardize document classification by auto-generating metadata, numbers, OCR, and extended metadata fields whenever a document is uploaded to help reduce human errors and the loss of time due to the same.
- Document Search - Since finding the right document in your EDMS should be a simple process, the software should allow users to search documents via keywords/indices and display related results for quicker search and retrievals. An ideal platform should provide a safe and powerful search, document content and metadata search, and possible advanced search.
- Document Processing - I searched document processing actions like conversion of typed and handwritten text to electronic information utilizing one of, or a combination of, ICR, OCR and data entry. An ideal EDMS should provide document processing features such as creating documents from templates, linking documents to records, linking to ERP/CRM systems, forward or sharing documents.
- Document editing & version control- To reduce time lost in retrieving the right version of the document, I focused on EDMS tools that allow employees to edit and update documents with the platform — with version control. Users should be able to see current documents and also retrieve older versions for reference.
- Document sharing and collaboration - The DMS should also facilitate sharing data in-house with clients and stakeholders and project collaboration for productivity.
- Document security: The one key important aspect of an enterprise document management system is the ability to leverage the latest security tools and software to ensure that only the intended users can access vital data. Other security features can include audit trail, user and roles, encryption, indexing all revisions and SSL support,
- Workflow Automation - While this is not a must-have in a document management tool, it’s equally essential for the tool to have. Having an inbuilt enterprise-level Business Process Management and Workflow Automation that automatically routes the documents to their destination is critical for productivity.
I looked at the usability of the platform and how it provides the user with easy navigation. One key aspect here is the interface and dashboard. As a user, I understand that an ideal EDMS interface should be simple and easy to navigate providing access to critical functionalities without much hustle.
I looked at how these EDM platforms can expand their capabilities and allow wider applications through third-party software integrations. While some have hundreds of pre-built integrations, others have the tools for you to connect your tech stack through custom API integrations.
What are the benefits of document management systems?
Is it safe to store enterprise information online?
Are there on-premise document management solutions?
If you are interested in more documentation-related articles, we have a wonderful guide on how to create an enterprise project plan in 7 steps and a description of what is a project initiation document and how to create it. And if you are starting your journey as a PM for enterprise projects, we have 10 tips on how to manage enterprise projects that will make you look like a rockstar.
If you would like to keep up with all our new content, the topics our community is talking about and songs to add to your work playlist, subscribe to the Insiders Newsletter.