Below you’ll find an overview of each of the 10 best remote project management tools, with screenshots, feature overviews, and pricing.
Web-based project management tools are an excellent solution for project managers who cannot be physically present in an office at all times. The best project management software for you will have a robust online platform with web-based resource management, timesheets, invoicing, portfolio management, project plans, workflow management, and more. Relieve yourself for being a helicopter manager and consider web-based collaboration software to bridge any gaps in accountability.
I’ve built this list of trustworthy, reliable online project management tools to address all of these needs and then some.
Web-Based Project Management Software Comparison Criteria
Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): Is the interface clean and attractive on both PC and smart devices? Can users easily follow a task from conception to completion within the app? Does unnecessary clicking and menuing get in the way of interface functionality?
- Usability: Is it easy to learn and master? Does the company offer good tech support, user support, tutorials, and training? Web-based project management requires being up-to-date while you are on the move; does the PM tool work on all popular mobile phone types (Android and iOS)? Is the mobile app robust and comprehensive?
- Integrations: Out-of-office PMs may require several different web-based solutions in their daily toolkit. So, is the app easy to connect with other web-based tools and apps, like time trackers, workflow management software, resource management software, and others?
- Value for $: PMs looking for web-based software will often need more than one tool to fulfill all their needs. Therefore, low cost or freemium software options are important. Plus, does the web-based PM app have simple, scalable costs per user for easy growth?
Web-Based Project Management Tools Key Features
- Accessible on any device using apps or browser access
- Reliable auto-saving features for all pages and work
- Built-in communication, messaging, and tagging
- Built-in meeting organization, including note-taking or video conferencing integration
- Easy calendars and scheduling with adjustable permissions/edit access
- Offline access available for no-WiFi zones (ie: during travel)
- Time tracking and task management overviews for managers on-the-go
The Digital Project Manager is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you click through links on our site — learn more about how we aim to stay transparent.
monday.com is a scalable, flexible, and secure web-based project management tool that sports some of the most user-friendly and encouraging interface graphics around. The bright colors, gamification of task completion, and easy drag-and-drop mechanisms can encourage software adoption by even the least techy team members make easily achievable. On top of the best you also get hundreds of add-ons, widgets, integrations, and automation ensure that every user can design an experience that works best for their unique needs whether its for an or .
monday.com costs from $6/user/month and comes with a free 14-day trial. They offer a free plan for up to 2 users.
- Offers a free version of the web-based tool
- Document template gallery is hugely helpful
- Can customize your boards to display only what you need most
- Time and calendar views limited to paid plans
- Integration with Zoom video conferencing is limited to paid plans
- May not be robust enough for large organizations
Not only does Smartsheet have everything you have come to expect from a great web-based project management platform but they also have one of the best project template libraries for every kind you can imagine. Tackle your , manage , and track with Smartsheet’s many Every subscription tier has access to hundreds of templates sorted by industry or type. Here you’ll have access to your project dashboard, Gantt charts, construction estimators, legal contract management, customer lifetime value (CLV), team productivity documents, performance evaluation sheets, and anything else you can think of.
Smartsheet costs from $7/user/month, with a minimum of 3 users and a maximum of 25 users. They also offer a 30-day free trial.
- Ability to quickly add someone as a viewer or editor
- Fantastic dashboard creation and customization
- Live on-demand reporting
- Dependencies could be more formula driven
- Could use smoother import/export to and from MS Excel
- Rows and columns are more limited than competitors
Kintone is a web-based project management tool used by teams at Volvo Trucks North America, Japan Airlines, Shiseido, and over 23,000 organizations worldwide. Their unique approach to project and task management lets you build a wide variety of customizable “apps” either from scratch, using templates or from your existing spreadsheets, for data management, business processes, and workflows. Kintone apps can be customized for project management, sales CRM, customer databases, expense reports, shared to-do lists, document management, equipment management, product feedback, and much more, making managing a breeze.
With Kintone you can easily build an online by dragging and dropping elements that you want to see onto the page: rich text fields, date fields, drop-down menus, number fields with built-in calculations, spaces for attachments, user or group selection menus, related data from other apps, tables, and more.
Once you’ve built the project management app you want, you can use it to more easily manage whatever data and tasks you and your team need to track which means it also serves as a . And with custom notifications and reminders as well as detailed permissions settings, your online project management solution can look and work however you want it to.
What makes Kintone particularly great for online project management are the features to filter and prioritize tasks by data field or team member to generate custom reports or project dashboard views, as well as the ability to automate reminders and handoffs between team members for multi-step workflows. Because Kintone is a cloud-based platform, users can also view, edit, and update workflows from a desktop web browser or the platform’s mobile app.
There are so many ways to customize Kintone it can be hard to know where to start. Read the starter blog “What Can You Build with Kintone?” or watch Creating an App from Scratch for a quick look at how the drag-and-drop builder works.
Kintone lets you expand its capabilities with both free native plugins built by the Kintone team as well as integrations with other tools like Google apps, Slack, Outlook, Tableau, Dropbox, Salesforce, HubSpot, Eventbrite, WordPress, QuickBooks, MailChimp, and many more through a paid plan with Zapier or via API integrations.
Kintone costs $24/user/month with a minimum requirement of 5 users. They offer a 30-day free trial (no credit card required) and discounted prices for nonprofits and educators. Kintone’s team also offers a free custom app build as part of the free trial process.
- Simple to learn and use
- Easy to develop forms and workflows
- Non-profit & education discounts
- 5 user minimum for accounts
- Mobile version not as good as web
Celoxis is an award-winning all-in-one web-based project management software tool that is backed by over 17 years of company experience. It comes packed with good-to-great features not just for small and mid-sized businesses, but also for large enterprises. This project planning tool has been the platform of choice for brands like HBO, Bombardier, KPMG, Tesla, Adobe, University of Washington, and The World Bank.
Celoxis provides powerful yet flexible project portfolio management, time and expense tracking, resource management, financial tracking, document management, and team collaboration. Using Celoxis, project management teams can manage schedules, resources, budgets, costs, invoices, communication, approvals, risks, issues, change requests and other work items from a single online platform.
Celoxis’ comprehensive features address the real-world complexities of managing projects across organizations and functions; it excels at planning, delegation, tracking and reporting with great agility and user-friendliness and also serves as a . Celoxis help users plan and manage real-world, diverse project portfolios. It is highly customizable to suit a variety of business needs for every and global team out there.
Celoxis comes with full-featured 30-day trial access to allow businesses to not just kick the tires but also to use realistic project scenarios to run through your list of business challenges and software requirements. The help center is packed with easy-to-use self-help resources such as getting started guides, product FAQs, short explainer videos, product documentation manual, and community forums. Celoxis also offers various onboarding packages and instructor-led training modules to help new customers accelerate adoption.
Celoxis integrates with over 400 third-party apps including , MS Excel, JIRA, QuickBooks Online, Salesforce, Evernote, Slack, Zendesk, Trello, Harvest, MailChimp, and more through a paid account with Zapier.
Celoxis costs from $22.50/user/month with a 5 user minimum and offers a free 30-day trial.
- Includes profit & margin tracking visuals
- Dynamic project portfolio dashboards
- Scheduling tools for geographically distributed teams
- Integration limitations
- Can’t recover deleted data or restore previous versions
- Only 2GB file space per user included in cloud plan
Zoho Projects is a web-based project management software built for remote teams. Zoho Projects allows users to virtually meet online, converse over chats, discuss issues using comments/tags, or build collaborative documents.
Zoho Projects also provides time tracking, issue tracking, budgeting and portfolio management capabilities for your teams wherever they may be.
The dashboards, reports, and user interface itself are all fully customizable so that users can make Zoho Projects their own. Moreover, automate routine work processes like assigning users to work items, updating fields or sending notifications with workflow rules and blueprints.
Zoho Projects integrates with tools such as Google Drive, Google Calendar, Slack, Github, Bitbucket, and Dropbox. Access even more integrations through Zapier.
Zoho Projects costs from $4/user/month (billed annually) and offers a 10-day free trial. They have a free plan for up to 3 users.
- Easily connect to other Zoho apps for sales, CRM, marketing
- Affordable and free entry-level plans
- Time tracking built-in
- No premade templates
- Steep learning curve for maximum benefits
MeisterTask allows project managers to organize and manage tasks in a beautifully designed, customizable environment. Kanban-style project boards allow teams to create streamlined, automated workflows that can be accessed anywhere by app or web browser. Their comprehensive free plan allows for unlimited project members and customizable project boards. Plus, collaboration between free and paid accounts is permitted.
MeisterTask costs from $8.25/user/month and offers a free version for up to 3 projects.
- A supportive free version of the tool for entry-level users
- Easy to navigate, user-friendly panel UI
- Good communication features: commenting, tagging, assigning
- No analytics for team performance
- No offline access at this time
- Some detailed task definitions may be difficult to implement
Kanbanize offers flexible, web-based Kanban Boards and built-in Business Rules so that you can automate all your team’s existing processes, dependencies, and interactions. PMs will especially enjoy the ability to forecast the end dates of any initiatives based on the flow of child cards anywhere in the Kanban card hierarchy.
Kanbanize costs from $99/month and offers a 30-day free trial.
- Quick bottleneck identification
- They offer a free eBook guide to Kanban for easy training help
- Good time tracking solution
- Some customizations can be challenging to arrange
- No iOS app
- No built-in chat system
Hive allows each client team member to pick how they want to see campaign progress – Kanban Board, Gantt Chart, or Table. Try bolstering remote meeting efficiency with the Hive Notes tool to demonstrate clear next steps, assignees, responsibilities, and important deadlines. With Hive’s proofing and approvals solution, managers can share creative documents and enable web-based feedback quickly and easily.
Hive costs from $12/user/month and offers a free demo and a 14-day free trial.
- Tool supports several views like Kanban, Gantt, and List
- Creating task and project cards is simple
- Can forward emails directly to Hive to create projects
- Cannot attach multiple files to a project request
- Could improve invoice tracking and financial features
- Can’t easily move urgent actions to the top
Used by Spotify, PayPal, Disney, and Netflix, Teamwork is a web-based project management solution that empowers you to manage multiple projects with ease. Users can easily break down complex projects into multiple levels of tasks and subtasks so you can plan in depth. You can even customize each marketing client’s access permissions for everything from adding comments on tasks all the way through to adding tasks, milestones, and even logging time.
Teamwork costs from $10/user/month and offers a free version for up to 2 projects and 5 team members.
- Free version of the web based tool is great for individuals or small teams
- Time tracking in both desktop and mobile versions
- Flexible project elements can be turned on and off (tasks, time, risks, billing, etc.)
- Limited 3rd party integrations compared to others
- Some reports are tough to fully customize
- Over-enthusiastic about email notifications
ProjectManager.com is an award-winning web-based project management system that boasts an impressive suite of project portfolio management (PPM) tools. Real-time dashboards, all-in-one roadmaps, and multiple project views are just a few of the features available to PMs looking to organize their portfolio on a granular or holistic level. You’ll especially appreciate the robust PPM reporting system, which gives you a birds-eye-view of everything you’ve got going on.
ProjectManager costs from $15/user/month and offers a 30-day free trial.
- Easy to create job schedules and make milestones
- Downloading and uploading job specific documents is simple
- Enables real-time communication with clients
- Schedules that aren’t perfectly linked may break during a task date change
- No offline access
- Don’t offer task trees showing the entire roadmap paths
Need expert help selecting the right Project Management Software?
We’ve joined up with the software comparison platform Crozdesk.com to assist you in finding the right software. Crozdesk’s Project Management Software advisors can create a personalized shortlist of software solutions with unbiased recommendations to help you identify the solutions that best suit your business’s needs. Through our partnership you get free access to their bespoke software selection advice, removing both time and hassle from the research process.
It only takes a minute to submit your requirements and they will give you a quick call at no cost or commitment. Based on your needs you’ll receive customized software shortlists listing the best-fitting solutions from their team of software advisors (via phone or email). They can even connect you with your selected vendor choices along with community negotiated discounts. To get started, please complete the form below:
14 days free trial
|From $6/user/month||Check out monday.com|
30 days free trial
|From$7/user/month||Check out Smartsheet|
30 days free trial
|From $24/user/month with a minimum of 5 users||Check out Kintone|
30 days free trial
|From $22.50/user/month (minimum 5 users)||Check out Celoxis|
10 day free trial
|From $4/user/month (billed annually)||Check out Zoho Projects|
|From $8.25/user/month||Check out MeisterTask|
30 days free trial
|From $99/month||Check out Kanbanize|
14 days free trial and free demo
|From $12/user/month||Check out Hive|
Free version for up to 2 projects and 5 team members
|From $10/user/month||Check out Teamwork|
30 days free trial
|From $15/user/month||Check out ProjectManager|
Other Web-Based Project Management Software
Here’s a few more that didn’t make the top list.
- Basecamp – Best for software development teams
- Scoro – Best for educational institutions
- Forecast – Best AI forecasting and analysis
- Zoho Projects – Best for automation of complex tasks
- Clarizen – Best for Project Portfolio Management
- Asana – Best visual task lists
- Trello – Best customizable task cards
- Paymo – Best invoicing and estimates
- Nifty – Best for legal case management
- KeyedIn – Best manufacturing ERP
- Workzone – Best for healthcare teams
- ProWorkflow – Best for ORG charts
- EasyProjects – Best Business Intelligence Reports
- Sciforma – Best Enterprise-centric project and portfolio management software
- Freedcamp – Best open source web-based project management tool
Which Web-Based Project Management Tools Do You Use?
What web-based project management tool do you and any stakeholders prefer? Are you thinking about upgrading or switching over? Is there any web-based project management software that you would add to this list? What kind of project management tools do you like the best? Sound off in the comments.
For updates on our latest articles and podcasts from project management experts, sign up for the DPM newsletter.
You can also share tool recommendations and best practices with other digital PMs in our online community—get involved with our community in DPM Membership.
- Beginner’s Guide To Project Portfolio Management—Critical Steps, Tools, Benefits
- What Is Project Resource Management? Ultimate Guide + Best Tools
- Project Management Software For Beginners: Best Tools & Top Use Cases
Related List of Tools:
Also Worth Checking Out: