Below you’ll find an overview of each of the 10 best remote project management tools, with screenshots, feature overviews, and pricing.
Web-based project management tools are an excellent solution for project managers who cannot be physically present in an office at all times. The best project management software for you will have a robust online platform with web-based resource management, timesheets, invoicing, portfolio management, project plans, workflow management, and more. Relieve yourself for being a helicopter manager and consider web-based collaboration software to bridge any gaps in accountability.
I’ve built this list of trustworthy, reliable online project management tools to address all of these needs and then some.
Web-Based Project Management Software Comparison Criteria
Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): Is the interface clean and attractive on both PC and smart devices? Can users easily follow a task from conception to completion within the app? Does unnecessary clicking and menuing get in the way of interface functionality?
- Usability: Is it easy to learn and master? Does the company offer good tech support, user support, tutorials, and training? Web-based project management requires being up-to-date while you are on the move; does the PM tool work on all popular mobile phone types (Android and iOS)? Is the mobile app robust and comprehensive?
- Integrations: Out-of-office PMs may require several different web-based solutions in their daily toolkit. So, is the app easy to connect with other web-based tools and apps, like time trackers, workflow management software, resource management software, and others?
- Value for $: PMs looking for web-based software will often need more than one tool to fulfill all their needs. Therefore, low cost or freemium software options are important. Plus, does the web-based PM app have simple, scalable costs per user for easy growth?
Web-Based Project Management Tools Key Features
- Accessible on any device using apps or browser access
- Reliable auto-saving features for all pages and work
- Built-in communication, messaging, and tagging
- Built-in meeting organization, including note-taking or video conferencing integration
- Easy calendars and scheduling with adjustable permissions/edit access
- Offline access available for no-WiFi zones (ie: during travel)
- Time tracking and task management overviews for managers on-the-go
The Digital Project Manager is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you click through links on our site — learn more about how we aim to stay transparent.
monday.com is a scalable, flexible, and secure web-based project management tool that sports some of the most user-friendly and encouraging interface graphics around. The bright colors, gamification of task completion, and easy drag-and-drop mechanisms can encourage software adoption by even the least techy team members make easily achievable. On top of the best you also get hundreds of add-ons, widgets, integrations, and automation ensure that every user can design an experience that works best for their unique needs whether its for an or .
monday.com costs from $6/user/month and comes with a free 14-day trial. They offer a free plan for up to 2 users.
- Can customize your boards to display only what you need most
- Document template gallery is hugely helpful
- Offers a free version of the web-based tool
- May not be robust enough for large organizations
- Integration with Zoom video conferencing is limited to paid plans
- Time and calendar views limited to paid plans
Wrike is an award-winning web-based project management software suitable for teams of five or more, as the software allows for an unlimited number of users. The tool is highly configurable and allows users to customize workflows, dashboards, reports, and request forms.
Wrike’s simple interface enables users to switch between Kanban boards, interactive drag-and-drop Gantt charts, and traditional workload views, allowing them to choose how to visualize their priorities. Wrike also features task lists, subtasks, schedules, shared workflows, file sharing, and real-time communication and collaboration. Users can get advanced insights on their project with performance reporting tools, resource management and allocation, and more.
Wrike has an easy-to-use, intuitive interface and navigation with distinct spaces, folders, and tasks. You can switch between the home screen and timesheets, dashboards, calendars, reports, and stream (for notifications and messages). Wrike also has a dedicated help center with interactive training, videos, a ‘Getting Started’ guide, and a thriving community.
Wrike also offers a variety of specific solutions depending on the type of team or organization — including marketing teams and professional service teams. Users can also try a variety of templates for common organizational processes.
Wrike offers 400+ pre-built native integrations, including the most popular file management software from Microsoft, Google, and Dropbox, along with sales and marketing software from Salesforce and Marketo.
Pricing starts at $9.80/user/month. There are four different price points, including a free version and plans which offer the ability to invite free external collaborators to a paid account.
- Easy, comprehensive email integration
- Dashboards to track progress of anything at a glance
- Excellent free plan for small businesses and teams
- Sluggish when downloading large files for editing
- Additional options for inbox filtering (by topics, project, assignees, etc.) would be welcomed
- No mid-levels of priority, only none or High
Celoxis is an award-winning all-in-one web-based project management software tool that is backed by over 17 years of company experience. It comes packed with good-to-great features not just for small and mid-sized businesses, but also for large enterprises. This project planning tool has been the platform of choice for brands like HBO, Bombardier, KPMG, Tesla, Adobe, University of Washington, and The World Bank.
Celoxis provides powerful yet flexible project portfolio management, time and expense tracking, resource management, financial tracking, document management, and team collaboration. Using Celoxis, project management teams can manage schedules, resources, budgets, costs, invoices, communication, approvals, risks, issues, change requests and other work items from a single online platform.
Celoxis' comprehensive features address the real-world complexities of managing projects across organizations and functions; it excels at planning, delegation, tracking and reporting with great agility and user-friendliness and also serves as a . Celoxis help users plan and manage real-world, diverse project portfolios. It is highly customizable to suit a variety of business needs for every and global team out there.
Celoxis comes with full-featured 30-day trial access to allow businesses to not just kick the tires but also to use realistic project scenarios to run through your list of business challenges and software requirements. The help center is packed with easy-to-use self-help resources such as getting started guides, product FAQs, short explainer videos, product documentation manual, and community forums. Celoxis also offers various onboarding packages and instructor-led training modules to help new customers accelerate adoption.
Celoxis integrates with over 400 third-party apps including , MS Excel, JIRA, QuickBooks Online, Salesforce, Evernote, Slack, Zendesk, Trello, Harvest, MailChimp, and more through a paid account with Zapier.
Celoxis costs from $22.50/user/month with a 5 user minimum and offers a free 30-day trial.
- Scheduling tools for geographically distributed teams
- Dynamic project portfolio dashboards
- Includes profit & margin tracking visuals
- Only 2GB file space per user included in cloud plan
- Can’t recover deleted data or restore previous versions
- Integration limitations
Not only does Smartsheet have everything you have come to expect from a great web-based project management platform but they also have one of the best project template libraries for every kind you can imagine. Tackle your , manage , and track with Smartsheet's many Every subscription tier has access to hundreds of templates sorted by industry or type. Here you’ll have access to your project dashboard, Gantt charts, construction estimators, legal contract management, customer lifetime value (CLV), team productivity documents, performance evaluation sheets, and anything else you can think of.
Smartsheet costs from $7/user/month, with a minimum of 3 users and a maximum of 25 users. They also offer a 30-day free trial.
- Live on-demand reporting
- Fantastic dashboard creation and customization
- Ability to quickly add someone as a viewer or editor
- Rows and columns are more limited than competitors
- Could use smoother import/export to and from MS Excel
- Dependencies could be more formula driven
Zoho Projects is a web-based project management software built for remote teams. Zoho Projects allows users to virtually meet online, converse over chats, discuss issues using comments/tags, or build collaborative documents.
Zoho Projects also provides time tracking, issue tracking, budgeting and portfolio management capabilities for your teams wherever they may be.
The dashboards, reports, and user interface itself are all fully customizable so that users can make Zoho Projects their own. Moreover, automate routine work processes like assigning users to work items, updating fields or sending notifications with workflow rules and blueprints.
Zoho Projects integrates with tools such as Google Drive, Google Calendar, Slack, Github, Bitbucket, and Dropbox. Access even more integrations through Zapier.
Zoho Projects costs from $4/user/month (billed annually) and offers a 10-day free trial. They have a free plan for up to 3 users.
- Time tracking built-in
- Affordable and free entry-level plans
- Easily connect to other Zoho apps for sales, CRM, marketing
- Steep learning curve for maximum benefits
- No premade templates
Forecast is a web-based platform for project and resource management used by teams worldwide. Forecast unites your projects, resources and financials in one AI-powered platform.
You can create a robust project plan fast using Forecast’s auto-schedule. The powerful AI automatically estimates tasks, assigns and optimizes workloads across resources, and sets a project delivery date. PMs will have a bird’s eye view of the entire portfolio of finished, running, and planned projects in a fully populated pipeline and can made easy adjustments or edits as needed.
You'll automatically have resource utilization calculated for you on a company-wide level to get valuable insights into how employees’ available time is spent. You can also create task cards where every team member can comment, share files, and register time spent. This lets you monitor who’s doing what and get notified of key progress updates directly with customizable alerts.
Forecast has powerful tools to track the financial progress of retainers without losing reference to the workloads of your staff and the time they spent delivering services. The platform can plot and analyze the differences between profitable and submarginal projects to relay how different project roles might affect results.
Forecast integrates with Slack, Microsoft Teams, iCloud Calendar, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Outlook, Harvest, Trello, Asana, GitLab, Github, and dozens more using a paid plan through Zapier. Higher-tier subscriptions include native integrations with Timelog, Xero, QuickBooks Online, JIRA, Azure DevOps, Salesforce, Okta, OneLogin, and Azure Active Directory.
Forecast costs from $25/user/month with a minimum of 10 users and offers a 14-day free trial.
- Automated cost and budget estimations
- Excellent iOS and Android apps
- AI powered auto-scheduling and time entry suggestions
- Projects, resources and financials connected in one platform
- Minimum of 10 seats
- No asset management
- No browser extension for time tracking
MeisterTask allows project managers to organize and manage tasks in a beautifully designed, customizable environment. Kanban-style project boards allow teams to create streamlined, automated workflows that can be accessed anywhere by app or web browser. Their comprehensive free plan allows for unlimited project members and customizable project boards. Plus, collaboration between free and paid accounts is permitted.
MeisterTask costs from $8.25/user/month and offers a free version for up to 3 projects.
- Good communication features: commenting, tagging, assigning
- Easy to navigate, user-friendly panel UI
- A supportive free version of the tool for entry-level users
- Some detailed task definitions may be difficult to implement
- No offline access at this time
- No analytics for team performance
Kintone is a web-based project management tool used by teams at Volvo Trucks North America, Japan Airlines, Shiseido, and over 23,000 organizations worldwide. Their unique approach to project and task management lets you build a wide variety of customizable “apps” either from scratch, using templates or from your existing spreadsheets, for data management, business processes, and workflows. Kintone apps can be customized for project management, sales CRM, customer databases, expense reports, shared to-do lists, document management, equipment management, product feedback, and much more, making managing a breeze.
With Kintone you can easily build an online by dragging and dropping elements that you want to see onto the page: rich text fields, date fields, drop-down menus, number fields with built-in calculations, spaces for attachments, user or group selection menus, related data from other apps, tables, and more.
Once you’ve built the project management app you want, you can use it to more easily manage whatever data and tasks you and your team need to track which means it also serves as a . And with custom notifications and reminders as well as detailed permissions settings, your online project management solution can look and work however you want it to.
What makes Kintone particularly great for online project management are the features to filter and prioritize tasks by data field or team member to generate custom reports or project dashboard views, as well as the ability to automate reminders and handoffs between team members for multi-step workflows. Because Kintone is a cloud-based platform, users can also view, edit, and update workflows from a desktop web browser or the platform’s mobile app.
There are so many ways to customize Kintone it can be hard to know where to start. Read the starter blog “What Can You Build with Kintone?” or watch Creating an App from Scratch for a quick look at how the drag-and-drop builder works.
Kintone lets you expand its capabilities with both free native plugins built by the Kintone team as well as integrations with other tools like Google apps, Slack, Outlook, Tableau, Dropbox, Salesforce, HubSpot, Eventbrite, WordPress, QuickBooks, MailChimp, and many more through a paid plan with Zapier or via API integrations.
Kintone costs $24/user/month with a minimum requirement of 5 users. They offer a 30-day free trial (no credit card required) and discounted prices for nonprofits and educators. Kintone’s team also offers a free custom app build as part of the free trial process.
- Non-profit & education discounts
- Easy to develop forms and workflows
- Simple to learn and use
- Mobile version not as good as web
- 5 user minimum for accounts
ProjectManager.com is an award-winning web-based project management system that boasts an impressive suite of project portfolio management (PPM) tools. Real-time dashboards, all-in-one roadmaps, and multiple project views are just a few of the features available to PMs looking to organize their portfolio on a granular or holistic level. You’ll especially appreciate the robust PPM reporting system, which gives you a birds-eye-view of everything you’ve got going on.
ProjectManager costs from $15/user/month and offers a 30-day free trial.
- Enables real-time communication with clients
- Downloading and uploading job specific documents is simple
- Easy to create job schedules and make milestones
- Don’t offer task trees showing the entire roadmap paths
- No offline access
- Schedules that aren’t perfectly linked may break during a task date change
GanttPRO is a web and mobile-based project management tool for in-office, remote, and freelance teams of any size to plan, organize, and manage their work. GanttPRO comes with Gantt chart planning and scheduling features. It is widely used in software development, construction, marketing, retail, healthcare, education, and even event planning.
GanttPRO lets you schedule and track projects, manage tasks, store files, track time, and get insights from reports. You can also export and import projects and use pre-made Gantt chart templates.
GanttPRO integrates with Slack, Google Drive, and Jira Cloud. More integrations are available through their API.
Basic plans for 1 user start at $7.99/month if billed annually.
- Advanced reporting with statistics
- Cost and budget management
- Drag and drop functionality
- Handy Gantt chart templates
- Online Gantt chart that can be shared with 3rd parties
- No free version though there is a fully-featured 14-day free trial
- No ability to set up recurring tasks
Need expert help selecting the right Project Management Software?
We’ve joined up with the software comparison platform Crozdesk.com to assist you in finding the right software. Crozdesk’s Project Management Software advisors can create a personalized shortlist of software solutions with unbiased recommendations to help you identify the solutions that best suit your business's needs. Through our partnership you get free access to their bespoke software selection advice, removing both time and hassle from the research process.
It only takes a minute to submit your requirements and they will give you a quick call at no cost or commitment. Based on your needs you’ll receive customized software shortlists listing the best-fitting solutions from their team of software advisors (via phone or email). They can even connect you with your selected vendor choices along with community negotiated discounts. To get started, please complete the form below:
14-day free trial
|From $10/user/month||Visit Website|
14-day free trial
|From $9.80/user/month||Visit Website|
30 days free trial
|From $22.50/user/month||Visit Website|
30-day free trial
|From $9/user/month||Visit Website|
10-day free trial
|From $5/user/month||Visit Website|
14-day free trial
|From $29/user/month||Visit Website|
Free trial available
|From $8.25/month (billed annually)||Visit Website|
30 days free trial
|From $24/user/month||Visit Website|
|From $16/user/month||Visit Website|
14-day free trial
|From $7.99/user/month (billed annually)||Visit Website|
Other Web-Based Project Management Software
Here’s a few more that didn’t make the top list.
- Basecamp – Best for software development teams
- Scoro – Best for educational institutions
- Forecast – Best AI forecasting and analysis
- Zoho Projects – Best for automation of complex tasks
- Clarizen – Best for Project Portfolio Management
- Asana – Best visual task lists
- Trello – Best customizable task cards
- Paymo – Best invoicing and estimates
- Nifty – Best for legal case management
- KeyedIn – Best manufacturing ERP
- Workzone – Best for healthcare teams
- ProWorkflow – Best for ORG charts
- EasyProjects – Best Business Intelligence Reports
- Sciforma – Best Enterprise-centric project and portfolio management software
- Freedcamp – Best open source web-based project management tool
Which Web-Based Project Management Tools Do You Use?
What web-based project management tool do you and any stakeholders prefer? Are you thinking about upgrading or switching over? Is there any web-based project management software that you would add to this list? What kind of project management tools do you like the best? Sound off in the comments.
For updates on our latest articles and podcasts from project management experts, sign up for the DPM newsletter.
You can also share tool recommendations and best practices with other digital PMs in our online community—get involved with our community in DPM Membership.
- Beginner’s Guide To Project Portfolio Management—Critical Steps, Tools, Benefits
- What Is Project Resource Management? Ultimate Guide + Best Tools
- Project Management Software For Beginners: Best Tools & Top Use Cases
Related List of Tools:
Also Worth Checking Out: