Best Remote Project Management Tools List
Here’s a shortlist of the best remote project management tools:
Below you’ll find an overview of each of the 10 best remote project management tools, with screenshots, feature overviews, and pricing.
Remote project management tools are designed to help virtual teams with everything from communication to team management.
You and your team members may find yourself struggling with the new remote workforce standards. Whether working from home is new or old to you and your team, it can be a challenge to ensure regular check-ins with remote workers. Distributed teams may need extra resources for things like video conferencing or messaging, for example, which can help replace the face-to-face collaboration of in-person workplaces.
With more teams working remotely, the lines between standard project management software and the tools specifically designed for remote teams are blurring. Even so, I think it’s useful to evaluate tools based on how good they are for remote teams, so I’ve created a trustworthy list of remote workforce tools. I’ve highlighted what the best project management tools can do specifically for remote and WFH teams, as opposed to when they are used in-office.
Remote Project Management Tools Comparison Criteria
What do I look for? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): Remote teams need a UI that is attractive and easy to use for everyone, from the highest tech individual to the lowest. Is the user interface easy to navigate, good for screen sharing, and attractive to look at for 8 hours a day? Is the UI optimized for mobile apps, which are often used in remote work?
- Usability: Remote teams often don’t have the in-house support of an IT professional or PM so any software introduced should have ample customer support resources, video tutorials, webinars, live chat, Q&A forums, whitepapers, and other easily accessible documentation.
- Integrations: Remote work requires that all your tools communicate as much as possible, from collaboration tools to time tracking to task management. Does the remote project software integrate with other popular apps in these categories and beyond, including but not limited to Slack, Jira, Zoom or Skype, DropBox, Google Drive, Microsoft apps, Proofhub, and other popular remote work tools? Does it connect with your CRM systems?
- Value for $: How appropriate is the price for the features, capabilities, and use case? Is pricing clear, transparent, and flexible?
Remote Project Management Tools Key Features
- Can be accessed remotely with minimal stipulations (not everyone has access to a hard-wired internet connection—the more accessible, the better)
- Secure cloud storage for file sharing on-the-go
- Automating business processes to unify separate work environments
- Simplifying communication channels
- Engagement and productivity tools
Overviews Of The 10 Best Remote Project Management Tools
Here’s a brief description of each of the remote project management tools on my list showing what it does best, plus screenshots to showcase some of the features.
Best remote PM tool for 3rd-party integrations
monday.com is a colorful, user-friendly, jack-of-all-trades remote workspace tool for modern teams. Plan, track, and deliver projects using hundreds of visual and customizable templates. View data on a map, calendar, timeline, kanban board, and more. Automate repetitive administrative tasks, like creating new lead entries according to incoming emails.
monday.com costs from $6/user/month and comes with a free 14-day trial. They offer a free plan for up to 2 users.
- Excellent collaborative features
- Simple organization by dragging and dropping tasks
- Very easy to invite others, share timelines, and assign tasks
- Best features locked to Standard or Pro versions
- Automations are not fully customizable
- No bottleneck identification or assistance
Best for remote collaboration across departments
Wrike is a cloud-based work management platform with robust remote workflow functionality, and it’s a popular choice among enterprise and agency teams. PMs will appreciate being able to build custom dashboards and workflows as well as implement team-specific workflow automation. Progress reporting is easily shareable across clients, stakeholders, and team members no matter where they are located.
Wrike costs from $9.80/user/month and offers a free version for up to 5 users.
- Variety of project views meet different user needs
- Holistic, comprehensive task modeling
- Ease of use and setup
- The commenting system needs to be more prominent
- Best features limited to Business plan
Best remote project management for growing portfolios
Celoxis' comprehensive features address the real-world complexities of managing projects across organizations and functions; it excels at planning, delegation, collaboration, tracking, and reporting with agility and user-friendliness. Celoxis can help you plan and manage real-world, diverse project portfolios and it is highly customizable to suit a variety of business needs.
Celoxis boasts auto and manual scheduling features that accommodate geographically distributed remote project teams. The platform functionality can adapt to different time zones, time-constrained tasks, part-time resources, unavoidable absences, interim resource swaps, and even one-off exceptions such as teams working weekends to meet deadlines.
Along with everything you would expect from the remote projects and task planning, Celoxis offers a whole suite of built-in accounting tools, which makes it stand out against competitors. Celoxis can generate reports for budget spends, receivables, and profitability across projects and portfolios. Celoxis can also handle margin tracking, revenue forecasting, and custom financial KPIs.
Celoxis integrates with over 400 third-party apps like Google Drive, MS Excel, JIRA, QuickBooks Online, Salesforce, Evernote, Slack, Zendesk, G Suite, Trello, Harvest, MailChimp, and more through a paid account with Zapier.
Celoxis costs from $22.50/user/month with a 5 user minimum and offers a free 30-day trial.
- Scheduling for geographically distributed teams
- Customizable dashboards for each team members
- Easy to use interface
- Only 2GB file space per user included in cloud plan
- No cancelation refunds post-purchase
- No freemium plan
Best for building custom project workflows
Kintone is a web-based project management tool used by teams at Volvo Trucks North America, Japan Airlines, Shiseido, and over 23,000 organizations worldwide. Their unique approach to project and task management lets you build a wide variety of customizable “apps” either from scratch, using templates or from your existing spreadsheets, for data management, business processes, and workflows. Kintone apps can be customized for project management, sales CRM, customer databases, expense reports, shared to-do lists, equipment management, product feedback, and much more.
Kintone lets you build online project management apps by dragging and dropping elements that you want to see onto the page: rich text fields, date fields, drop-down menus, number fields with built-in calculations, spaces for attachments, user or group selection menus, related data from other apps, tables, and more.
Once you’ve built the app you want, you can use it to more easily manage whatever data and tasks you and your team need to track. And with custom notifications and reminders as well as detailed permissions settings, your online project management solution can look and work however you want it to.
What makes Kintone particularly great for online project management are the features to filter and prioritize tasks by data field or team member to generate custom reports or dashboard views, as well as the ability to automate reminders and handoffs between team members for multi-step workflows. Because Kintone is a cloud-based platform, users can also view, edit, and update workflows from a desktop web browser or the platform’s mobile app.
There are so many ways to customize Kintone it can be hard to know where to start. Read the starter blog “What Can You Build with Kintone?” or watch Creating an App from Scratch for a quick look at how the drag-and-drop builder works.
Kintone lets you expand its capabilities with both free native plugins built by the Kintone team as well as integrations with other tools like Slack, Gmail, Google Calendar, Outlook, Tableau, Dropbox, Salesforce, HubSpot, Eventbrite, WordPress, QuickBooks, MailChimp, and many more through a paid plan with Zapier or via API integrations.
Kintone costs $24/user/month with a minimum requirement of 5 users. They offer a 30-day free trial (no credit card required) and discounted prices for nonprofits and educators. Kintone’s team also offers a free custom app build as part of the free trial process.
- Good price point for what you get
- Endlessly flexible and customizable
- Ease of use and adaptability
- Deeper search functionality welcomed
- Takes time to set up your own apps
Best for managing your projects, resources, and finances in one
Forecast is a remote project management software that unites your projects, resources, and financials in one AI-powered platform. Project managers can leverage Forecast’s workflow automation capabilities to create smart schedules, estimate timeframes and budgets, and populate timesheets instantly. Forecast is currently used in over 40 countries by an assortment of remote- and hybrid agencies, consulting companies, SMBs, and enterprises.
PMs can control the workflow by building out detailed task lists and flagging clear priorities. Task cards allow remote team members to easily comment, share files, and register time spent. Everything related to the specific task appears in one place, including dependencies and subtasks. You can put together projects for any type of remote work: fixed price, time and material, or retainer.
Forecast’s AI learns from previous work and suggests the number of hours you normally register on similar tasks to help you log time faster. You can monitor time registrations from a team perspective and notify each member if they forget to enter something in. Time tracking utilization on a company-wide level is calculated for you for easy alerts, estimates, and reporting.
Forecast integrates with Slack, Microsoft Teams, iCloud Calendar, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Outlook, Harvest, Trello, Asana, GitLab, Github, and dozens more using a paid plan through Zapier. Higher-tier subscriptions include native integrations with Timelog, Xero, QuickBooks Online, JIRA, Azure DevOps, Salesforce, Okta, OneLogin, and Azure Active Directory.
Forecast cost from $29/user/month with a minimum of 10 users and offers a 14-day free trial.
- Automated cost and budget estimations
- Excellent iOS and Android apps
- AI powered auto-scheduling and time entry suggestions
- Projects, resources and financials connected in one platform
- Minimum of 10 seats
- No asset management
- No browser extension for time tracking
Best remote project management tool for freelancers
Paymo serves remote workforces across creative and marketing agencies, law firms, business consultants, architecture firms, and freelancers. Remote teams can take advantage of easy time tracking, resource planning, Gantt charts, reports, Kanban boards, expenses, and invoicing tools. You can schedule and monitor activity in real-time and easily make adjustments using flexible Gantt Charts and other types of project views.
Paymo costs from $9.95/user/month and offers a 15-day free trial.
- Easy to share content with external stakeholders
- Organizes jobs intuitively and can easily archive jobs
- Time tracking easily runs in the background with little interference
- Budgets from projects to tasks can be difficult to calculate
- Project table layout categories challenging to edit
- Large learning curve compared to others
Best tool for online, remote task management
MeisterTask allows remote teams to organize and manage tasks in a beautifully designed, customizable environment that adapts to individual user needs. Kanban-style project boards allow teams to create streamlined, automated workflows no matter where they are physically located in the world. Their app is available for Android and iOS, as well.
MeisterTask costs from $8.25/user/month and offers a free version for up to 3 projects.
- Access to unlimited project boards
- Very easy to manage several projects at the same time
- Intuitive and user-friendly UI
- After loading a file into a task it cannot be downloaded immediately
- File attachments limited to 200 MB per file
- Timeline and custom fields are restricted to Business accounts
Best software for remote teams using hybrid project methodologies
ProjectManager blends Agile and Waterfall methodologies to bring teams a collaborative solution that can adapt to hybrid methods or changes in your methodology from project to project. Gantt chart tools can help you and your team plan and schedule; build simple task lists with powerful features, and manage full agile sprints with drag-and-drop Kanban cards.
ProjectManager costs from $15/user/month and offers a 30-day free trial.
- Fits well into an Agile framework
- Easy to use project scheduling
- Good for costing and construction work monitoring
- Most reports require a manual clean-up
- No way to sort Agile Boards by project, only by task
- No way to track and update partially complete tasks
Best tool for project templates
Hive lets your team manage projects in the way they work best and lets you easily switch between views like Kanban and Gantt charts. Monitor and report on projects in real-time to spot risks and opportunities proactively. Plus, utilize over 1,000 integrations through Zapier to bring information into one centralized dashboard.
Hive costs from $12/user/month and offers a 14-day free trial.
- Add external users without paying for a seat
- Task owners can turn sub-tasks into separate projects
- Infinite sub-tasks available
- Have to delete all sub-actions manually after deleting a phase
- Comments could be made more prominent
- Mobile app notifications are unreliable
Best for customizable personal workspaces
GoodDay is a work management platform remote teams can use for project and product management. GoodDay comes with a productivity suite that includes personal work scheduling (My Work), group and private chats, meetings management, project & personal events, built-in documents & wiki, and unlimited file storage.
GoodDay's Action Required tracker alerts members of new tasks assigned to them, alerts members they choose to collaborate with, and is visible on each member's personal schedule and workspace.
Each workspace comes with customizable views, an adjustable user interface, customizable fields, and task types as well as project templates, priorities, and workflows.
GoodDay integrates with hundreds of apps such as Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Slack, GitHub, Gitlab, Excel, Jira, Trello, and many others, accessible via native integration. More integrations are available through Zapier and GoodDay API.
GoodDay costs from $4/user/month.
- Shallow learning curve
- Real collaboration transparency with Action Required
- Custom Reports available to Enterprise users only
- No offline access
- Some native integrations require paid plan
Need expert help selecting the right Project Management Software?
We’ve joined up with Crozdesk.com to give all our readers (yes, you!) access to Crozdesk’s software advisors. Just use the form below to share your needs, and they will contact you at no cost or commitment. You will then be matched and connected to a shortlist of vendors that best fit your company, and you can access exclusive software discounts!
Summary Of The Best Remote Project Management Tools
14-day free trial + freemium plan available
|From $8/user/month (billed annually, min 3 seats)||Visit Website|
Freemium version available
|From $9.80/user/month||Visit Website|
30-day free trial
|From $25/user/month||Visit Website|
30-day free trial
|From $24/user/month||Visit Website|
14-day free trial
|From $29/user/month||Visit Website|
Free plan available
|From $5.95/user/month||Visit Website|
Free trial available
|From $8.25/month (billed annually)||Visit Website|
30-day free trial
|From $16/user/month||Visit Website|
14-day free trial
|From $16/user/month||Visit Website|
Free version available
|From $6/user/month||Visit Website|
Other Remote Project Management Tools
Here’s a few more that didn’t make the top list.
- Basecamp – Best for IT teams
- Scoro – Best for customizable dashboards
- Zoho Projects – Best for CRM
- Asana – Best free remote project management
- Trello – Best for Kanban-style organization
- Keyedin – Best for PMO analytics
- Workzone – Best for file management
- Proworkflow – Best for remote collaboration
- EasyProjects – Best for product lifecycle
- Sciforma – Best for scalability
What Remote Project Management Tools Do You Use?
How do you navigate different projects and teams remotely? Have you tried any of these remote project management solutions in your day-to-day? Are there any project management tools that you would add to this list? Sound off in the comments.
For updates on our latest articles and podcasts from project management experts, sign up for the DPM newsletter.
You can also share tool recommendations and best practices with other digital PMs in our online community—get involved with our community in DPM Membership.