In this post, I’ll help you quickly compare and evaluate the best online project management software.
Web-based online project management software are an alternative to on-premise solutions and are typically packaged as software as a service (SaaS) along with a monthly subscription price.
The price of online PM software often changes based on the number of users you need and the amount of products/services you want. It’s perfect because allows it to fit small business budgets, which is the big majority of you!
The benefits of using online project management tools include regular updates, real-time collaboration around the globe, no downloads (work right in your browser), and easy mobile app access.
In this post, I’ll share with you some of the top online project management software and provide a simple comparison between them.
What are we looking for when we select project planner software for review? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): Is it clean and attractive?
- Usability: Is it easy to learn and master? Does the company offer good tech support, user support, tutorials, and training?
- Integrations: Is it easy to connect with other tools? Any pre-built integrations to tools like toggl plan, jira software or the microsoft office suite, for example?
- Value for $: How appropriate is the price for the features, capabilities, and use case? Is pricing clear, transparent, and flexible?
Online Project Management Software Key Features
Here are the key features you should look for in any project planning software.
- Cloud storage – The ability for all your information to live on the vendor’s cloud, saving you a lot of moolah in infrastructure expenses.
- Gantt chart and/or Kanban board – Does the software have graphs and charts to support task and product timelines, including dependencies and deadlines?
- Communication – Does the tool make it easy to collaborate and communicate with your team? Does it integrate with email and offer direct messaging?
- Task list – Does the tool make it clear what needs to be done by whom and by what deadline?
- Customizable Reporting – Can you easily pull data from the software and visualize it in a variety of formats?
The Digital Project Manager is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you click through links on our site — learn more about how we aim to stay transparent.
monday.com is a great project management software because of the way the tool has done away with a lot of the trimmings of typical management tools and focused on simple, visually appealing layouts that help clarify the sequence of work.
monday.com features for managing projects include resource and project management, time tracking, collaboration, and reporting features. For example, users can upload and attach files to cards, make comments, mention teammates, and more. It also offers a great project reporting dashboard that can collect data from multiple boards, allowing better tracking abilities of progress. And while monday.com doesn’t offer a complete set of tools for project accounting and invoicing solution as other tools, you can use monday.com to track hours, timelines, and invoices.
Overall, it’s a highly customizable tool that lets you work in whatever methodology—kanban or otherwise—that fits your project and team. You’ll also find some useful workflow tools for automating parts of your process.
monday.com’s integrations include project management apps like Slack, Google Drive, Gmail, Google Calendar, Jira, GitHub, Trello, Dropbox, Typeform and many more, accessible via Zapier.
monday.com costs from $8/user/month and comes with a free 14-day trial. They offer a free plan for up to 2 users.
- Huge focus on collaboration
- Long list of supported integrations
- Easy to customize a workflow or Board
- Helpful visual/color coding customization
- Complex pricing rubric
- Timeline & Gantt views not available in free version
Smartsheet is a spreadsheet-like project management tool. It has won a few awards for quickly becoming a favorite business app. It’s a nice project management software if you’re comfortable working in Excel but want a break from complicated formulas—Smartsheet performs all the calculations for you across multiple sheets. You can also add customized brand logos and set color themes for individual projects.
Smartsheet has useful project management features such as workflow automation and visualization of tasks in Gantt, calendar and card views. Team members get notified of critical changes in real-time, and the tool provides shared views, detail history, activity logs, automated alerts, reminders, and status reports to keep everyone aligned and informed. The ‘critical path’ feature highlights all the tasks which directly impact your project completion date to keep an eye on important milestones. Reporting is a strong feature of this tool, with editable summary reports that you can easily export to Excel.
Smartsheet integrations include Microsoft and Google apps, as well as development essentials like Jira, and useful business apps like Salesforce, ServiceNow, Slack, Box, and Tableau. The platform is extensible through a REST API and webhooks.
Smartsheet costs from $7/user/month, with a minimum of 3 users and a maximum of 25 users. They also offer a 30-day free trial.
- Sheet-to-sheet linking
- Many project templates & resources
- Import quickly from Excel, MS Project, Trello, and Google Sheets
- Easily customizable dashboards
- Jira, Salesforce, Dynamics connector limited to Premier plan
- Changes don’t update in real-time
- Can't customize chart colors
ClickUp is a project management software tool with powerful features for managing and completing all your team’s projects in one platform. Users can plan projects, schedule tasks, and manage resources in a centralized workspace, as well as communicate and collaborate with team members and guests.
Task management features include task checklists, subtasks, and task templates, as well as the ability to filter, sort, search for, easily reorder, and view tasks in the manner most convenient for the team. Users can also create Gantt charts, calendars, and timelines to visualize tasks.
ClickUp also includes features for creating, sharing, and collaborative editing for Wikis and documents. Users can comment on documents and tasks, assign comments, and chat with other team members for increased communication and collaboration. Reporting features include the ability to create custom dashboards, as well as six built-in report types for team reporting.
ClickUp offers native integrations with Slack, G Suite, Dropbox, and many more tools, as well as over 1,000+ integrations through Zapier.
ClickUp’s free plan is robust and includes all primary features. The unlimited plan starts at $5 a month per user and offers additional functionality.
- Free forever plan allows unlimited members
- Unlimited file storage on all paid account tiers
- 50+ widgets to customize your dashboard
- Great interface on desktop, web and mobile app
- Read-only guest permissions are limited to paid account
- Reporting suite is limited to paid plans only
- Freemium plan limits use of storage, projects, and custom fields
Wrike is an easy-to-use online project management software that is flexible, adaptable, and configurable for teams of anywhere from five to an unlimited number of members. The tool enables users to switch between customizable Kanban boards, Gantt charts, and classic workload views.
Users can view project timelines on a Gantt chart and add dependencies through drag-and-drop, as well as create Kanban boards from several templates. Wrike also features task lists, shared calendars, custom workflows and automations, and file sharing, as well as collaboration features such as live editing, commenting, and instant @mentions.
Wrike allows users to create personal dashboards from task lists, and managers can see team workloads at a glance and adjust resources to maximize employee capabilities and availability. The tool also includes features to create advanced, customizable reports that can be automatically scheduled or exported externally.
Wrike offers 400+ pre-built native integrations, which includes integrations with Zendesk, MediaValet, and QuickBooks, as well as with file management software from Microsoft, Google, and Dropbox.
Wrike starts at $9.80/user/month, with a free version available. Paid plans come with a free 14-day trial.
- Flexible to individual team needs
- Excellent automations and Kanban board templates
- Helpful support team and resources for onboarding
- Steeper learning curve than other tools on this list
- Customization options and range of features can be overwhelming
Celoxis is an award-winning all-in-one project management software tool that’s backed by over 17 years of company experience and provides solutions for businesses of all sizes. The tool is the platform of choice for brands like HBO, Bombardier, KPMG, Tesla, Adobe, University of Washington, and The World Bank.
Celoxis helps users plan and manage diverse project portfolios. It is customizable to suit a variety of business needs such as time and expense tracking, resource management, financial tracking, and work collaboration. The help centre is packed with easy-to-use self-help resources such as getting started guides, product FAQs and how-tos, short explainer videos, product documentation manual, and community forums.
Celoxis’ comprehensive features address the complexities of managing projects across organizations. Functions include planning, delegation, collaboration, tracking, and reporting on a user-friendly platform. Businesses can get rid of multiple applications and spreadsheets to manage schedules, resources, budgets, costs, invoices, communication, approvals, risks, issues, and change requests. You also get access to 24/5 customer support with their paid plan.
Celoxis offers integrations with over 400 business applications including Google Drive, Microsoft Project, Jira, QuickBooks Online, Salesforce, Microsoft Active Directory, Evernote, Slack, Zendesk, Wufoo, Google Forms, Trello, Freshdesk, Survey Monkey, and a growing list of others.
Celoxis costs from $22.50/user/month and offers a free 30-day trial.
- Scheduling accommodates geographically distributed teams
- Free client portal
- Available in 8 international languages
- Support for multiple billing models
- Basic users may find the UI visually cluttered
- No mobile app
- Substantial updates may require additional training time
Kintone is a web-based project management tool used by teams at Volvo Trucks North America, Japan Airlines, Shiseido, and over 23,000 organizations worldwide. Their unique approach to project and task management lets you build a wide variety of customizable “apps” either from scratch, using templates or from your existing spreadsheets, for data management, business processes, and workflows. Kintone apps can be customized for project management, sales CRM, customer databases, expense reports, shared to-do lists, equipment management, product feedback, and much more.
Kintone lets you build online project management apps by dragging and dropping elements that you want to see onto the page: rich text fields, date fields, drop-down menus, number fields with built-in calculations, spaces for attachments, user or group selection menus, related data from other apps, tables, and more.
Once you’ve built the app you want, you can use it to more easily manage whatever data and tasks you and your team need to track. And with custom notifications and reminders as well as detailed permissions settings, your online project management solution can look and work however you want it to.
What makes Kintone particularly great for online project management are the features to filter and prioritize tasks by data field or team member to generate custom reports or dashboard views, as well as the ability to automate reminders and handoffs between team members for multi-step workflows. Because Kintone is a cloud-based platform, users can also view, edit, and update workflows from a desktop web browser or the platform’s mobile app.
There are so many ways to customize Kintone it can be hard to know where to start. Read the starter blog “What Can You Build with Kintone?” or watch Creating an App from Scratch for a quick look at how the drag-and-drop builder works.
Kintone lets you expand its capabilities with both free native plugins built by the Kintone team as well as integrations with other tools like Slack, Gmail, Google Calendar, Outlook, Tableau, Dropbox, Salesforce, HubSpot, Eventbrite, WordPress, QuickBooks, MailChimp, and many more through a paid plan with Zapier or via API integrations.
Kintone costs $24/user/month with a minimum requirement of 5 users and offer a 30-day free trial. Also a free custom app build as part of the free trial process.
- Discounts for educators & NGOs
- Excellent list of integrations & plug-ins
- Excellent list of integrations & plug-ins
- No freemium plan
- All account types require min. 5 users
- Storage above 5GB/user costs extra
GoodDay is a modern, highly customizable work management platform that includes powerful yet user-friendly tools for project planning, task management, resource and portfolio management, time and budget tracking, and progress tracking and analytics, as well as customizable workflows, templates, integrations, and more.
The tool includes advanced project planning functionality for creating detailed project plans. Users can add tasks, milestones, and dependencies, as well as get a full picture of progress against the plan. Resource management capabilities include managing resource utilization and workload balance.
The tool also includes a productivity suite that comes with personal work scheduling, group and private chats, meetings management, project & personal events, built-in documents & wikis, unlimited storage for files, and more. Another great feature is the action required feature, which allows team members to notify each other of when action is needed.
GoodDay is highly customizable to both sophisticated project structures and basic project structures. Users can create custom views, adjust the user interface, customize fields, and create custom task types, project templates, priorities, workflows, and more.
GoodDay has 100s of integrations with apps like Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Slack, GitHub, GitLab, Excel, Jira, Trello, and many others, accessible via native integration or Zapier. Custom integrations can be built through GoodDay’s API.
GoodDay costs from $4/user/month and offers a free-forever version for up to 15 users.
- Responsive, available customer support team
- Good project management template selection
- Easy to use interface
- Generous freemium plan for 15 users
- Mobile app struggles with certain things, like file uploads
- Difficult to export task lists
- Gmail integrations sometimes disconnects
Zoho Projects is a project management tool that’s built with customization features that enable it to adapt to just about any industry. It allows users to virtually meet online, collaborate over chats, discuss comments or collaborate within documents.
Zoho Projects provides Gantt charts with a simple drag and drop interface to plan projects, resource utilization charts to plan work allocation, and numerous reports and charts to analyze and track project metrics.
Other capabilities include time tracking, issue tracking, budgeting and portfolio management. Users can also automate routine work processes like assigning users to work items, updating fields, or sending notifications with workflow rules and blueprints.
Zoho Projects integrates with tools such as Google Drive, Google Calendar, Slack, Github, Bitbucket, and Dropbox. Access even more integrations through Zapier.
Zoho Projects costs from $5/user/month (billed annually) and offers a 10-day free trial. They have a free plan for up to 3 users.
- Freemium plan available
- Integrates with other Zoho solutions
- Time tracking & timesheets functionality
- Vast feature list results in cluttered dashboard
- Steep learning curve
Nutcache is an online project management tool with a suite of communication and collaboration tools built into daily workflow processes.
Nutcache features include project management, project budgeting, task management, time tracking, expense tracking, online invoicing, and reporting capabilities. The tool is a collaborative workspace with features for live editing, commenting, and mentions.
Nutcache lets you use custom workflows, divide work into manageable chunks, prioritize tasks, assign multiple members to a task, define budget alerts, set budget tracking by the hour or amount, use KPIs to stay on budget, and has a roadmap of features to come.
Integrations include Dynacom Accounting, PayPal, 2Checkout, Stripe, Authorized.Net, Google Sign In, and GitHub.
Nutcache is free to use for up to 20 users. Paid plans start at $6/user/month with a minimum of 5 users and offer a free trial.
- Easy to set up and learn
- Unique time management features
- Customizable workflows
- No option to create recurring tasks
- Notes can’t be quickly added to stopwatch
- Limited customization in the invoicing module
Kissflow Project is an online project management tool designed to focus on collaboration, transparency, coordination, and productivity. It’s simple and easy to learn, with a great assortment of essential features but not a lot of heavy-duty reporting or resourcing features to bog the tool down. All in all, this is a great tool with a balanced collection of essential team/task management features.
Kissflow Project offers multiple views for projects, including Kanban boards, list views, and swimlanes. Beyond the task management, there’s file sharing: users can share project plans, documents, and other files. There’s chat and comments to discuss projects directly within the software, and on certain plans there’s a timesheet feature. There’s also an Android and iOS app.
Kissflow’s support team are very responsive and paid plans come with a 20 day advanced support and onboarding package to help you get started. The chatbot built right into the platform makes it quick and easy to pose questions, access the product wiki or documentation, or escalate issues to their help teams.
Kissflow integrations include native Microsoft and G suite integrations, and the platform offers a REST API and webhooks.
Kissflow costs from $9.90/user/month with a minimum of 10 users. Bulk pricing is available for businesses with over 100 users. They offer a 14-day free trial.
- Multiple views like Kanban, lists, and swimlanes
- On hold, in progress, and done states available for tracking progress
- Powerful reporting features
- No Gantt chart
- No ability to set up recurring tasks
- Building integrations is not straightforward
Need expert help selecting the right Project Management Software?
We’ve joined up with the software comparison platform Crozdesk.com to assist you in finding the right software. Crozdesk’s Project Management Software advisors can create a personalized shortlist of software solutions with unbiased recommendations to help you identify the solutions that best suit your business’s needs. Through our partnership you get free access to their bespoke software selection advice, removing both time and hassle from the research process.
It only takes a minute to submit your requirements and they will give you a quick call at no cost or commitment. Based on your needs you’ll receive customized software shortlists listing the best-fitting solutions from their team of software advisors (via phone or email). They can even connect you with your selected vendor choices along with community negotiated discounts. To get started, please complete the form below:
14 days free trial
|From $8/user/month||Check out monday.com|
30 days free trial
|From $7/user/month||Check out Smartsheet|
|Free forever with paid plans starting at $5/month||Check out ClickUp|
14 days free trial
|From $9.80/user/month and has a freemium version for up to 5 users||Check out Wrike|
30 days free trial
|From $22.50/user/month||Check out Celoxis|
30 days free trial
|From $24/user/month with a minimum of 5 users||Check out Kintone|
|From $4/user/month||Check out GoodDay|
10 day free trial
|From $5/user/month (billed annually)||Check out Zoho Projects|
14 days free trial
|From $6/user/month with a minimum of 5 users||Check out Nutcache|
14 days free trial
|From $9.90/user/month with a minimum of 10 users.||Check out Kissflow Project|
Other To Do List App Options
Here’s a few more that didn’t make the top list. If you need additional suggestions for another handy to do app, check these out.
- Synergist – Agency management software has everything you need to manage your projects, people, clients and financials
- ProjectManager.com – Award-winning work management software for hybrid teams and with 1000+ integrations to business and project management apps
- FunctionFox – Timesheet and project management software for creative professionals
- Clarizen – Strategic portfolio management and enterprise agile planning software to help businesses scale
- Mavenlink – Enterprise-grade business and project management solution for professional services & businesses
- Easy Projects – Project and work management platform with a customizable environment depending on your project management methodology
- Liquid Planner – Automated scheduling and forecasting software, helping teams to plan intelligently through smart estimation and predictive scheduling
- Workzone – Project management software with cloud collaboration and approvals.
- Workfront – Web-based enterprise work management and project management software; part of the Adobe Experience Cloud portfolio
- Basecamp – Toolkit for projects, teams and company-wide communication. Built with remote teams in mind
- Teamwork – Project platform with project templates, task management, time tracking, billing and real-time collaboration
What Is Online Project Management Software?
Online project management software is any digital tool that can help the facilitation of day-to-day workflow, including communication tools (direct messaging, social feeds, alerts), task lists (todos, Kanban boards), calendars and schedules (monthly/weekly views, Gantt charts), and reporting and analytics functions.
Examples of online project management software include Trello and Asana, which are both browser-based SaaS designed to do all of the above and more. Both are outlined in more detail later in this article, along with many others.
How Much Does Online Project Management Software Usually Cost?
Discounting freeware, which obviously doesn’t have a cost, you can expect to pay anywhere from $5/user/month up to upwards of $100/user/month. The average tends to be between $10-15/user/month for a basic plan.
If You Didn’t Find The Right Software Yet…
What Do You Think About These Online Work Tools?
Have you tried out any online project portfolio management software listed above? What do you think about the online project management software reviews? Sound off in the comments below.
Related List of Tools: ClickUp Competitors And Alternatives
Check This Out: Getting The Most Out Of A Software Demo