Quickly compare the best project management software for small teams with overviews, pricing, free trial, and evaluation criteria to consider.
If you are a project manager for a small team, you have probably thought to yourself at least once: “Are these docs and spreadsheets really the best project management software for small creative teams?”
The right software or combination of software can make your workflow more organized, more efficient, and more informed. However, as a small team, you’re probably trying to avoid software that costs a lot, takes a specialization to learn, or weighs your team down with a bunch of complex features you don’t need.
In this post, I’ll talk about how to navigate managing a small team with the right apps and tools as well as outline some of the best, lightweight small business project management software.
Project Management Software for Small Business Comparison Criteria
What are we looking for when we select the best project management software for small teams for review? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): Is the user interface easy to navigate, lightweight, and fast to load and update?
- Usability: Is it easy to learn and master? Does the company offer good tech support, user support, tutorials, and training? What is the learning curve like?
- Flexible Alerts – Can users customize what alerts they receive, where they receive them (in app, email, SMS, etc.), and when they receive them (activating a night mode, etc.)?
- Asset Storage – Is there room within the software to house logo images, text files like meeting minutes, marketing assets, and so on?
- Team Collaboration/Communication – Are there simple chat, direct messages, mentions, and file sharing features?
- Knowledge Base– Is there space within the app to log and address common issues, FAQs, onboarding and training materials, and wiki entries for the benefit of the whole team?
- Project Types– Is the software able to handle everything from simple to complex projects? Does the project management platform allow for global contributions from teams all over?
- Integrations: Does the software connect with other popular tools that might come in handy for small teams, like Google and Microsoft products?
- Value for $: Is the price affordable for small businesses and small creative teams? Does it offer scalability options in the case of team expansion?
Best Project Management Software Key Features
- Project plan features such as templates, filters, mobile app use, and task lists
- Team collaboration automation, streamline features, subtasks
- Real-time commenting and notifications between team members
- Invoicing, scheduling, and billing features
- Real-time help desks and customer feedback
- Task management features
This site is reader-supported. When you click through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
Overviews Of The Best Project Management Software For Small Business
Here’s a brief description of each of the best small business management software that are featured on this top 10 list.
monday.com - Cloud-based work OS, where teams create workflow apps in minutes to run their processes, projects, and everyday work
Monday handles everything from simple to complex projects by providing efficient time tracking, portfolio management, and resource management tools.
With Kissflow’s easy automation, streamline and organize subtasks all while taking advantage of their multiple easy-to-use task lists, kanban, and matrix viewer for simpler insights.
Wrike - Small business project management tool that excels in easy workflow visualization with drag-and-drop dashboards and charts
Their agile development software transforms team collaboration, customization to suit specific cases and organizations, and aims to eliminate needless meetings and endless email threads by incorporating real-time commenting and notifications between team members.
- freemium version
- 30 days free trial. No credit card required.
- From $9/user/month (starting from 5 users)
Teamwork - Easy to use project management software designed to keep multiple projects moving forward from one central workspace
Trusted by over 6,000 businesses and 20,000 agencies, Teamwork provides tons of project management features, as well as offering a free project management system.
TeamGantt - Planning software for small business with easy-to-use Gantt chart tools for advance scheduling and quick wireframing
This project management platform is packed with collaborative tools and useful features such as project plan templates, project planning filters, and is mobile app friendly.
Trello - Web-based Kanban-style list-making application with chat and file storage to bolster collaboration across small remote teams
Helping teams move forward, Trello insists on providing an easy learning curve for their software. Their learning board is just the beginning – offering collaboration tools and software tools to take care of any simple project.
- 10 days free trial
- From $4/user/month billed annually. Also has a freemium version upto 3 users for 2 projects
Zoho Projects - Cloud-based project management for small teams that keeps all users aware of any critical tasks and their dependencies
Zoho comes in with an extremely affordable plan for any number of users. I’ll link it here so you can check it out! Their cloud-based software allows for team collaboration from all over the globe.
Paymo - Project management tools designed for small and medium businesses for industries from creative agencies to law firms
Paymo is the all-in-one tool for invoicing, scheduling and billing. Paymo’s methodology is aimed at small and medium-sized businesses.
Basecamp - Project management tool that contains all the tools needed for teams to work together, from to-do lists to group chats
Priding itself on being “the all-in-one toolkit for any remote project management solution” Basecamp is making waves in the world of remote teams. They literally wrote the book on being remote, and the passion in their work shows itself for teams all over the globe.
Asana - Free small business management software with different to-do list styles and a pleasant, colorful interface that’s welcoming to new users
Asana is awesome for integrations such as Slack and Dropbox, Asana makes a simple project management app for easy automation and current tasks on hand. Made for any project of any size, they also offer a basic free plan with unlimited projects, tasks and messaging.
The Best Project Management Software For Small Business Summary Chart
|monday.com||Read monday.com features & functionality|
14 days free trial
|From $17/month for 2 users||Check out monday.com|
|Kissflow Project||Read Kissflow Project features & functionality|| Freemium version|
15 days free trial
|From $35/month (Includes 5 users)||Check out Kissflow Project|
|Wrike||Read Wrike features & functionality|
14 days free trial
|From $9.80/user/month and has a freemium version for up to 5 users||Check out Wrike|
|Teamwork||Read Teamwork features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 days free trial. No credit card required.
|From $9/user/month (starting from 5 users)||Check out Teamwork|
|TeamGantt||Read TeamGantt features & functionality|| Freemium version|
14 day free trial
|From $24.95/month||Check out TeamGantt|
|Trello||Read Trello features & functionality||Freemium version||From $9.99/user/month||Check out Trello|
|Zoho Projects||Read Zoho Projects features & functionality|
10 days free trial
|From $4/user/month billed annually. Also has a freemium version upto 3 users for 2 projects||Check out Zoho Projects|
|Paymo||Read Paymo features & functionality|
15 days free trial
|From $9.56/user/month||Check out Paymo|
|Basecamp||Read Basecamp features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 days free trial
|From $99/month unlimited users||Check out Basecamp|
|Asana||Read Asana features & functionality|| Freemium version|
30 day free trial
|From $10.99/user/month||Check out Asana|
What Do You Think About This List of Best Software to Run a Small Business?
Have you tried out any of the project management software for small teams listed above? What tools do you rely on for project management for small business? Let us know in the comments below.