No matter where you are in your PM journey, you’ll find something to help you along the way in these project management articles.
Learning how to manage a project is an ongoing endeavor—you’ve got to continuously try out new techniques and upgrade your skills. This year, the expert team at The Digital Project Manager team has produced dozens of articles on project management, from comprehensive how-to guides to opinion pieces showing what daily life as a digital project manager is like.
Here it is: our best digital project management articles of 2019!
Holiday 2019 Reading
A few of our most recent publications to check out before the holidays have come and gone, written on seasonal topics:
Digital Project Management Articles
Project Management Basics
What skills does a PM need? How much do they make? If you’re new to the field, start with an article on project management basics:
Project Management Skills Articles
From project scope management articles to conflict resolution techniques, these PM articles are written by project managers who speak from years of experience in the finer points of keeping project teams on track and keeping clients happy.
Learn how to…
- Manage The Project Management Triple Constraint
- Apply Project Risk Management Strategies
- Write A Project Charter: How-To Guide, Examples & Template
- Write S.M.A.R.T. Project Objectives (With Examples)
Agile Project Management Articles
If you’re looking for a project management article that keeps up with latest methodologies in the digital industry, have a look at these agile project management articles:
- Run A Sprint Planning Meeting Like A Boss (+ Meeting Agenda)
- What Everyone Should Know About Running Agile Projects
- The Agile Manifesto And How To Really Apply It To Your Projects
- What Is Scrum Methodology? Complete Guide To All Things Scrum
Project Industry & Business Articles
- Why Projects Will Be The Drivers Of Change (& Always Have Been)
- The Hard Truth About Scalability: What To Know Before Scaling Up
- Digital Agency Growth Secrets From A Digital PM
- Workflow Design: Learn From My Failed Attempt
- How Corporate Website Projects Go Wrong: A Cheat Sheet For Project Managers
Stakeholder Management Articles
- Stakeholder Management 101: Types Of Stakeholders & How To Manage Them
- How To Write A Proposal That Clients Can’t Say “No” To
- How To Build Trust In Your Client & Business Relationships
Team Management Articles
Remote Project Management Articles
No list of project management articles 2019 would be complete without remote project management. We’ve got something for you if you’re focused on managing remote teams:
Our team of digital project managers weighs in on what makes them more productive—these project management articles are more focused on how you can improve your work habits in order to grow in your role and manage your time more effectively at work.
- How To Be More Productive At Work With No Effort
- My Secret to Finally Getting Organized: Why PMs Need A Personal Organization System
- The 4 Best Productivity Tips We Learned From Top Leaders
- How To Stay Organized As A Digital Project Manager
Project Manager Career Articles
- 130 Top Project Management Influencers Of 2019
- Project Managers: What To Do When You Hate Your Job
- Project Managers: How To Deal With Burnout At Work
- 5 Steps To Survive The Tidal Waves Of Project Management
- 5 Management Styles Every PM Should Know
Project Management Case Studies
- Managing A 2-Week Project
- Managing a Portal Build
- Switching From Waterfall To Duration & Price Contracts
Digital Project Management Tools
Over 2019, we evaluated dozens of project management software tools and summarized the information in our reviews. Find descriptions of their features, main pros and cons, pricing, and what to consider when choosing different types of PM software for your projects.
If you’re new to project management tools:
First have a look at our comparison of the top software for project management. Then, check out our review of popular resource management tools that you can use to allocate resources (staff, rooms, equipment), map out your dependencies, and monitor for changes over time. We’ve also got a well-researched list of Microsoft Project alternatives, and a summary of project scheduling software tools.
Beyond general PM software, we’ve also got some helpful reviews of other types of tools:
- Microsoft Project For Mac Options
- Mind Mapping Software
- Help Desk Software
- Requirements Management Tools
- ALM Tools
- Change Management Tools
- Business Intelligence Tools
- Advertising Agency Software
- The Best Flowchart Software Of 2019
- Project Management Software For Creative Teams
- Gantt Chart Maker
- Project Management Software For Mac
Digital Project Management Videos
- What Is DPM Membership?
- Quick Tips For Managing Client Relationships
- How To Motivate An Overworked Team?
- Tips For New Project Managers To Be Successful From Day One
- How To Talk About Projects On Your Project Manager CV
- What Are The Best Tools For Managing Multiple Projects Successfully?
- Will AI Actually Take Over 80% Of A Project Manager’s Job?
- How To Calculate The Cost Of Project Management In Your Project Estimate?
- What Are The Best Project Manager Certifications?
- PMs Discuss The Hertz-Accenture Lawsuit
- How To Manage Multiple Projects?
- Which Agile Project Management Tools Should I Use?
- What Is Agile Project Management?
- How To Manage Project Delays
In 2019, we had a dozen different project management experts weighing in on the trickier points of managing digital projects. Here’s a list of project management podcast episodes you can browse to answer some of your harder questions and get a better idea of how all the PM theory can be applied to real projects.
Our Top 4: Most Popular Project Management Podcasts of 2019
Here’s a list of our most popular PM podcasts from 2019 to help you narrow down the choices—if you’ve only got a few hours, make sure you give these DPM favorites a listen:
- How To Plan An Agile Sprint (with Alexa Huston)
- Scaling Agile (With Giovanni Asproni)
- Project Management & The New Business Process (with Peter Levitan)
- How To Manage Stakeholders (With Kelly Suter)
- Burn Baby Burn (With Lynn Winter)
More DPM Podcasts
From productivity hacks, managing scope creep, and agile PM, our DPM experts provide insight on a wide range of interesting digital project management topics.
- Switching From Waterfall To Duration & Price Contracts (With Tucker Sauer-Pivonka)
- Managing Project Budgets And Profitability (With Tomislav Car)
- Managing A Portal Build (With Rebecca Germond)
- Onboarding The Right Way (With Sarah Hoban)
- How To Get Website Content From Clients (With James Rose From Content Snare)
- SMART Project Objectives (With Mackenzie Dysart)
Don’t See What You’re Looking For?
Have a digital project management question you’d like answered? Or maybe you know someone with valuable insight to share with the digital project management community? Weigh in and comment with the questions, topics, trends, and people you’d like to know more about. We’ve got good things coming to you in 2020!