June 2020 Live Mentorship
Looking for great PM hacks and tips? Wanting advice on your current project challenges? Come with your questions and work out your challenges with one of our DPM mentors.
In this session, Ben is joined with digital transformation advisor and Agile delivery specialist Galen Low to give you help guide you through your roadblocks and challenges.
Points of Interest
- 8:10 — What do you do when you are laid off or furloughed? How do you find your next job? What do you do with your time between jobs?
- 12:41 — Galen’s LinkedIn search parameter tips for DPMs
- 15:14 — Galen’s summary of his top tips for job hunting
- 18:48 — Ben’s resume tips
- 19:50 — Ben’s project portfolio tips
- 22:50 — Galen’s project portfolio tips – Where to start and what to redact
- 27:11 — Ben disagrees : ) “Overshare instead of undersharing – prove you did the work!”
- 30:00 — How do I stay relevant and build new skills? Ideas for side-projects, and
- 32:08 — Making PM expectations clear: purpose, format, and frequency of 1:1s?
- 39:05 — Ben’s take on 1:1s, job descriptions, plus sharing his job scorecard template
- 42:25 — What are good metrics to share in your project portfolio, and what do you do when your organization isn’t big on tracking metrics?
- 44:22 — How frequently should you do status reports?
- 45:14 — What is your daily routine when managing 10-14 projects at the same time?
- 52:05 — How would I go about getting a job as a project manager in the Government sector?
- 53:40 — What questions should I be asking at the beginning of a project?
- 55:40 — Managing SaaS projects: what methodology should I be using, especially when the work includes design?